Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Coyote heater hose - re-use bypass hose connectors?

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote heater hose - re-use bypass hose connectors?

When installing a heater w/ Coyote setup, is there any reason not to re-use the two Gates 28504 connectors that are on the crate engine provided heater bypass hose which plug onto the ports at the front of the engine? With the Vintage Air heater from FFR, I won't be using the bypass hose and those connectors are $27/ea. Seems I can just cut out the two connectors from the bypass hose and re-use them in my custom length heater hoses?
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct on reusing gates connectors. Make sure you use a bypass style heater valve (4ports) it is critical to ensure flow is maintained between the heads, even when the heater valve is closed. I have seen a coyote destroy the left hand bank due to no flow.

Cheers,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    Correct on reusing gates connectors. Make sure you use a bypass style heater valve (4ports) it is critical to ensure flow is maintained between the heads, even when the heater valve is closed. I have seen a coyote destroy the left hand bank due to no flow.

Cheers,

Nige
    Thanks for confirming, and yes I have a 4-port bypass valve which will allow full flow to the engine when not using the heater.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I spoke too quickly. The hose I thought was the heater bypass hose doesn't appear to be so....the connectors are a little bit smaller. So I have a couple of questions related to the heater connections.
    1. Does anyone know what this smaller hose in my picture below is for? I don't remember if it came with the crate Gen2 Coyote (from Ford controls pack), or if it came as part of the FFR Coyote fitment kit. Does anyone know where it comes from and what it is used for (if anything)?
    2. I think I know which ports on the engine to plumb the heater hoses (per my image below). If I have the ports wrong, please let me know. Can anyone confirm if the Gates 28504 or Dorman 800-419 are the correct quick connectors for connecting to these ports? I see one of the Dorman quick connects included with the FFR Coyote Fitment kit.....from the instructions it looks like they usually include 2 of those you can make the heater bypass hose if not using a heater. I also don't have the .5" aluminum reducer that goes in that bypass hose assembly. I'm not using the bypass, so not a problem, but just curious. I tested the fit of the Dorman 800-410 on that heater port on the engine and it seems like it doesn't fit very well....maybe I just need to push it on farther, but I'd like to confirm if I at least have the correct connector. I bought a 2nd one on Amazon, so I'll use some 5/8 heater hose to build my own hoses.

Darryl [dbo_texas]

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the hose in my picture is the PCV hose, not heater hose.

https://www.fordracingparts.com/part/CM-6K817-M50A
    Darryl [dbo_texas]

Post Thanks / Like
    PVC Hose
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

7. Likes dbo_texas liked this post