Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for help with fixing flaws in cast aluminum parts

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for help with fixing flaws in cast aluminum parts

I'm planning on polishing the cast aluminum grill and windshield frame on my '33 and have found a few flaws that I would like to fix, at least cosmetically. For example, there are some small pits in the grill shell and windshield frame that will be more obvious once the parts are polished. Also, there is a gap between the top and bottom halves of the windshield frame, but only on the Driver's side (which means I'll see it every time I sit in the car).

I'm hoping the vast Forum knowledge pool can come up with some product recommendations or suggestions, preferably that don't involve TIG welding.

TIA, Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious that no one is offering advice. Not having a 33 means I am not experienced on your project but I fabricate. TIGing is one of your solutions, get used to it.
    In view of my not seeing your parts I will say (expensive) die cast parts have a smooth surface but porosity inside. If typical porosities come through to the surface you must melt & fill, very difficult.
    Sand castings do not have a smooth surface but the castings are dense and easy to TIG.

If your frame has a gap, lengthening it would be very hard. I have seen that on my 1929 Mercedes SSK replica and grinding the glass is the best option to close the gap. I use a belt sander but go easy and keep a wet rag available to cool the glass, MAYBE the frame is not to spec and FFR has one that is a better fit.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't say I've ever had to fix this sort of thing. But if I did, I might take a fine file and make a pile of aluminum shavings. Then clean the parts with acetone, and fill the holes with clear epoxy. Immediately sprinkle the aluminum shavings onto the epoxy and embed them - much like concrete folks place decorative aggregate on top of a small pad and embed it onto the surface. Let the part dry for a few days, carefully file & wet-sand it smooth and see if it works. Again, I have never tried this but if you don't want to fool around with trying to weld it, I'd give it a shot. I have thought about it and don't have a better idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jacob. Sounds like an idea worth trying - maybe even mix aluminum powder / filings into the epoxy as a thickener? I might have to do a little experimentation. I've got some scrap parts I could sacrifice to the cause...

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never tried it, but what about using solder to fill the pits? It polishes reasonably well, but it would oxidize faster than the aluminum. Maybe a clear sealer over it? Just thinking out loud.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

6. Thanks progmgr1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting solder to stick to these large aluminum parts would be difficult, since they are a massive heat sink. It might be worth a try if I undercut the pits so the solder would be mechanically held in place.

Thanks for the idea.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

9. Thanks progmgr1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    Getting solder to stick to these large aluminum parts would be difficult, since they are a massive heat sink. It might be worth a try if I undercut the pits so the solder would be mechanically held in place.

Thanks for the idea.

Keith HR #894
    I think you would need a pinpoint high intensity flame to heat the aluminum quickly in a localized area. Use a low temperature solder wire should help as well.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nigel - Thanks! That Devcon product is exactly what I vaguely had in mind that I needed. Also, it appears to be available from multiple sources in my area or by internet.

Cheers, Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    Nigel - Thanks! That Devcon product is exactly what I vaguely had in mind that I needed. Also, it appears to be available from multiple sources in my area or by internet.

Cheers, Keith HR #894
    Looking forward to hearing your results with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    After some investigation, I found that the Devcon product was only available in quart or larger containers - priced over $100. Clearly, intended for industrial use. I found something similar on Amazon in a more convenient size and price point: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Ep...001449TTY&th=1

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you check with Factory Five about this? I also polished my windshield frame and grill (using 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 wet, then buff and polish) and they came out looking like a mirror. You paid full price for quality parts and they may be willing to exchange them. My seams on the sides of the windshield are both tight, maybe the metal frame just needs to be tapped down a bit more over the rubber insert. I just looked at my windshield frame gaps and they are tight-you cannot even get a fingernail in them. Post a photo of the gap in the windshield frame please.
    Image - 2023-07-16T112510.419.jpegImage - 2023-07-16T112517.424.jpegImage - 2024-02-01T204227.151.jpegImage - 2024-03-02T164727.056.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but solder will not stick to aluminum.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
    Did you check with Factory Five about this? I also polished my windshield frame and grill (using 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 wet, then buff and polish) and they came out looking like a mirror. You paid full price for quality parts and they may be willing to exchange them. My seams on the sides of the windshield are both tight, maybe the metal frame just needs to be tapped down a bit more over the rubber insert. I just looked at my windshield frame gaps and they are tight-you cannot even get a fingernail in them. Post a photo of the gap in the windshield frame please.
    Image - 2023-07-16T112510.419.jpegImage - 2023-07-16T112517.424.jpegImage - 2024-02-01T204227.151.jpegImage - 2024-03-02T164727.056.jpeg
    Most of the castings from FFR have the imperfections that Keith mentions, getting another is extremely unlikely to solve the problem (just like the fiberglass parts). Sounds like some success should be had with the aluminum filler mentioned above but I will say that after polishing mine, you can remove some of the imperfections and you don't really think about the others once you're done....

Steve

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunter View Post
    Sorry, but solder will not stick to aluminum.
    Never tried it so I was not sure. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, your grill and windshield frame look fantastic! That's just what I'm aiming for. The one thing I couldn't make out in the photo was if the vertical grill bars are also polished. If so, did you do all that by hand or did you have some Dremel attachments that would fit?

My frame is covered in blue tape right now, so no photo of the gap. However, the problem is caused by FFR using 2 counter-sunk screws on each side to hold the frame halves together. I can close the gap by pressing the halves together, but then they split apart again when I tighten the screws. The tapered hole and angled screw head only allow one assembled orientation of the parts, and that leaves a visible gap between the frame halves. It's driver side only(?) The passenger side fits perfectly.

Keith HR #894