Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Hot mama

Post Thanks / Like

Hot mama

Good afternoon everyone,
    I've been noticing that my cobra has been running warmer than usual. It used to run between 78 and 85 celsius, but has been running warmer lately. It hit 90 yesterday and shut off on me. I'm running a 347 from Forte, boig coolant tubes, aftermarket overflow, breeze fan shroud and stock FF fan and radiator. I tried getting all the air out this past Sunday. Not sure if I was successful or not. The fill port seems to be at the highest point. I did notice that the tube running to the overflow was empty making me think that it might be sucking air in when it cools down. Also not sure if it could be a bad thermostat that won't open all the way. Should I get a better fan? Any help would be greatly appreciated.IMG_8250.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by h3towel View Post
    Good afternoon everyone,
    I've been noticing that my cobra has been running warmer than usual. It used to run between 78 and 85 celsius, but has been running warmer lately. It hit 90 yesterday and shut off on me. I'm running a 347 from Forte, boig coolant tubes, aftermarket overflow, breeze fan shroud and stock FF fan and radiator. I tried getting all the air out this past Sunday. Not sure if I was successful or not. The fill port seems to be at the highest point. I did notice that the tube running to the overflow was empty making me think that it might be sucking air in when it cools down. Also not sure if it could be a bad thermostat that won't open all the way. Should I get a better fan? Any help would be greatly appreciated.IMG_8250.jpg
    I would try using one of these to make sure the coolant fill is the highest point and then fill you overflow halfway to make sure your not letting air back into the system.

Screenshot_20240724_130948_Chrome.jpg

3. Likes h3towel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to distract too much from you getting suggestions but I am curious. What does "shut off on me" mean? The engine died? 195 (90c) -220 is a normal temp range, so it's not even that hot.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

5. Likes tnt_motorsports liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What he ^ said. 90C = 194F. What thermostat do you have? My EFI Windsor has a 195 stat which is what the ECU wants to see and that's exactly the temp it maintains.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The thermostat is the one that came with the complete kit. I was driving in my parents neighborhood (25mph), and it just shut off. I was driving pretty aggressively on the way there since I was racing the rain. It has been pretty humid and hot here in good old Virginia Beach lately. The shutting off could be something totally unrelated. I'm running a fitech EFI, which I haven't been reading a lot of good things about recently on a facebook group, but it was the EFI that Mike was putting on his engines when I bought mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure your overflow hose isn't obstructed. This polishing bead was wedged in the spout for the overflow hose at the filler neck.

IMG_4049.jpeg

IMG_4048.jpeg
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

9. Likes h3towel, Jphoenix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw mention of rhe weather being "humid". Pretty sure that humidity has no bearing on engine cooling. It does have a cooling effect on US because we perspire...but for an engine only the air temperature matters.
    Last edited by ProfessorB; 07-24-2024 at 09:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I changed my 347 out for a 427, I went with this fan from Summit. 1.fan.PNGfan.PNG because it is way, way, quieter than the FFR supplied fan and 2. it flows 30% more air than the FFR supplied fan. It never gets above 195 on the hottest days.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    Before we get too far down a path of chasing an overheating issue, let's come back to two important points. 1) 90 deg. C is not "too hot". That's a perfectly normal operating temperature, and 2) let's clarify what is meant by the car "shut off." Cars don't just spontaneously shut off when they get hot, let alone when they're running at a normal operating temperature. Seems like there's something else going on here that's unrelated to the temperature of the engine.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't have an overheating problem. As John said, 90* C isn't hot
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I would look at whether the fuel line is running too close to the exhaust because it kind of sounds like vapor lock. I didn't give much thought to that when I ran my feed lines; I didn't think that vapor lock occurred on EFI vehicles. I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a FiTech 600 that would consistently shut down after about 30 minutes of driving. Took me forever to get to the problem. Turned out it has a map sensor seal that was a millimeter or two too long and would collapse when warm from the vacuum in the throttle body. Data logging will show the problem it that’s it. Trimming literally 1 to 2 millimeters off the end fixed it for me.