Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Steering binding

Post Thanks / Like

Steering binding

I notice I have what I would call "notchyness" in my steering. I suppose that would be joints binding due to the severe angles. What have you anything to reduce the angles of the joints?
    20230102_155655.jpg20230102_155641.jpg
    Last edited by Just 1 More; 03-14-2024 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You do not say where the notches occur.
    Joint bind would likely happen at extreme angles, not much of an issue. In the center of steering range notches could be the rack, and more problematic for steering quality.
    You could have a partner do steering cycles while you watch and feel components to identify the source. Turn plates under the tire treads may help.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    The joints between the power steering and the rack are at the limit of their angles. The farther apart you can get the joints, the better the angle. Make sure the ujoint is not interfering with itself.
    This is a challenging area of the build that I'm still not happy with.
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peterh226 View Post
    The joints between the power steering and the rack are at the limit of their angles. The farther apart you can get the joints, the better the angle. Make sure the ujoint is not interfering with itself.
    This is a challenging area of the build that I'm still not happy with.
    I cut almost an inch off the rack and slid the joint up on the shaft which eliminated a lot of that joint angle. I think a lot of my "bind: is coming from the firewall to the power steering motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    I cut almost an inch off the rack and slid the joint up on the shaft which eliminated a lot of that joint angle. I think a lot of my "bind: is coming from the firewall to the power steering motor.
    FFR has a shaft that provides a 90degree phase change for the firewall to power steering section of the shafts. This helps the binding as well...
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

6. Thanks Just 1 More thanked for this post
    Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should check the depth of the shaft as it extends through the coupling on the joints. The angles are so severe that even a small amount of extension beyond the coupling into the open area of the joint can cause binding. I had problems with mine occur after driving the initial 500 miles as one of the shafts slid down into the joint. Also be careful with the last joint at the rack after the power steering motor. Several have had this loosen over time. Mine actually fell off as I backed it out of my garage. I solved it by through drilling and installing a grade 8 bolt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Peterh226 is correct. There is a new steering shaft between the firewall and PS unit that is a 90 degree off double D shaft. Picture cutting your current shaft in the middle, rotating one end 90 degrees, and welding it back together. F5 sent me that shaft (it was on backorder when my kit was shipped) and that took a lot of my bind out. I had binding at 12:00, 3:00 6:00 and 9:00. I also cut the input of the rack off about that 3/4" and that also removed the last bit of binding I had. I have driven it 1200 miles now and the steering is wonderful-no binding or tightness at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
    Peterh226 is correct. There is a new steering shaft between the firewall and PS unit that is a 90 degree off double D shaft. Picture cutting your current shaft in the middle, rotating one end 90 degrees, and welding it back together. F5 sent me that shaft (it was on backorder when my kit was shipped) and that took a lot of my bind out. I had binding at 12:00, 3:00 6:00 and 9:00. I also cut the input of the rack off about that 3/4" and that also removed the last bit of binding I had. I have driven it 1200 miles now and the steering is wonderful-no binding or tightness at all.
    I ordered the new 90 degree shaft this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter226 - Thanks! That's a great tip.
    Cheers!
    Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the new shaft, had to trim it a little to fit and it made a night & day difference. Feels a lot smoother now.
    PN# 35071 $35.00 with $24.78 shipping
    Screenshot 2024-08-05 094006.jpg

12. Likes Ltfracing liked this post