Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side pipe height issue

Post Thanks / Like

Side pipe height issue

I've got a problem with the height of my FFR side pipes. Here's the situation:

• FFR LS headers with ball sockets
    • Chassis is perfectly level
    • Engine is perfectly level
    • Each side pipe is level with the chassis
    • DS pipe is 1/2" below the bottom of the 4" tube
    • PS pipe is 1.5" above the bottom of the 4" tube

Thoughts? I'll call FFR on Monday, but thought I'd ask here in the meantime. Seems like a problem with the headers.

From what I can tell, the ball socket doesn't do much for changing the overall height of the entire pipe (and I don't think it was intended to). Maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't get it to make a real difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why can't you swivel the ball sockets up/down to raise/lower the side pipes?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    John, there doesn't seem to be enough adjustment to make up that much difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    John, there doesn't seem to be enough adjustment to make up that much difference. I'm going to play with it again tomorrow. The ball sockets seem to be more for micro adjustments rather than what I need to do, but maybe a fresh look tomorrow will prove orherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Loosen the engine to chassis mounts and roll the engine in the slots to raise the DS, lower the PS. Due to the long length of the headers it takes very little change at the mount to make a big difference at the end of the pipe.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no need for the engine to be perfectly level so follow Jeff and rich advise.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I was able to make the needed adjustments with the ball sockets, despite what I said above. They're now dead-nuts even. I'll worry about final height later in the build.

This was a good reminder for me to put down the tools and give it a night. 9 times out of 10, things work out in the morning with fresh eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    Thanks guys. I was able to make the needed adjustments with the ball sockets, despite what I said above. They're now dead-nuts even. I'll worry about final height later in the build.

This was a good reminder for me to put down the tools and give it a night. 9 times out of 10, things work out in the morning with fresh eyes.
    Sometimes when I get jammed up, I'll stop working on the car and just organize the shop/clean and put away all the tools spread out all over the place....other times I'll walk away until the morning. Seems to help me find the solution most of the time. Fresh eyes, as you said.