Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: We Took the 5.2L Predator-Powered Mk4 to the Dyno

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like

We Took the 5.2L Predator-Powered Mk4 to the Dyno

We built this Mk4 Roadster with the crew at Hot Rod Brothers the other year, and it features the 5.2L Predator supercharged motor along with Tremec 5-speed transmission, IRS, and 17″ Halibrand wheels. Factory Five tech Dan G. took the Roadster up to Cohesion Motorsports in Lawrence, MA to tune the engine and see what it would do on the dyno. Check out his report in this video.

The results were 654.4 HP and 533.8 trq which is right about where it should be for the stock Predator engine. And remember, this is in a car that weighs right around 2,400 lbs.

Check out more photos of this Roadster build here.

Thanks to the crew at Cohension Motorsports for their help at the dyno!
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

2. Likes JohnK liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOWSERS! That's a panty dropper!!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

4. Likes Mad Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That'll be fun.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

6. Likes Mad Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Registered in Montana... lol
    Build 1 MK4 #10008 - Delivered 03/03/21, Graduated 7/20/22 - Sold 6/6/24
    Build Thread #1 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Build 2 MK4 #11061- Delivered 08/24/24
    Build Thread #2 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...006#post562006

8. Likes fauxbra5.0, Mike.Bray, Mad Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's damn impressive, although Dan's messaging seems like they were a bit disappointed at the result. Regardless, 650hp in a 2400lb car would give a similar power/weight ratio as a McLaren Senna! That kind of power (if you can go 10/10ths) must absolutely scramble your brain...
    Future FFR builder/owner. Currently in planning & discovery stages for a MkIV Roadster, the "Fauxbra".
    Part village idiot, part caveman.

Build website & more - fauxbra.com
    Instagram

10. Likes Mad Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched the video and would like to point out that it produces 654 horsepower AT THE REAR WHEELS. I can only imagine what it produces at the flywheel.
    My second observation: During the video Dan talks about engine cooling and says the weather was "humid". What difference does "humidity" make? PEOPLE cool less efficiently because we perspire and the evaporation of that is what cools us. Cars and engines don't "sweat" so humidity is not a factor in cooling.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the same thing about the humidity comment. Even though it is called a radiator, the cars cooling is based predominantly on conduction heat transfer, not convection or radiation. Given that water conducts heat much more effectively than air, I would argue that higher humidity results in more efficient cooling. Now, higher humidity also affects the amount of usable oxygen in a predefined volume, so I would expect less power with higher humidity, even more so with a forced induction system. With higher humidity there is less air to mix with fuel compared to lower humidity, thus less bang in the cylinders. While this theory is sound, I have no idea the actual power loss from higher humidity , it could be negligible.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    btw - watch to the end, the gopro is hilarious
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    I thought the same thing about the humidity comment. Even though it is called a radiator, the cars cooling is based predominantly on conduction heat transfer, not convection or radiation. Given that water conducts heat much more effectively than air, I would argue that higher humidity results in more efficient cooling. Now, higher humidity also affects the amount of usable oxygen in a predefined volume, so I would expect less power with higher humidity, even more so with a forced induction system. With higher humidity there is less air to mix with fuel compared to lower humidity, thus less bang in the cylinders. While this theory is sound, I have no idea the actual power loss from higher humidity , it could be negligible.
    JJK....I couldn't agree with you more. I actually thought about this, including the oxygen content of the air for combustion, and even the possible "anti-detonation" effect of the water content of the air (sort of like water injection). But what I think is that while humidity has a MAJOR effect on the cooling of human beings....the effect of relative air humidity is probably so small as to be negligable. Air temperature, on the other hand, does have an impact....both in cooling and producing power.