BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Anomalous cooling

Post Thanks / Like

Anomalous cooling

I have an STI engine with stock swirl pot and Wayne hack for engine manifold to pot hose; an overflow tank next to the pot.
    Normally it all works well around town on hot days. Overflow might fill 1/4 and return to system when cool. Fans come on about 205deg.

At the track, after 2-3 sessions, it fills the overflow tank and starts leaking out. I usually smell it, look down and see a big temp spike, also note higher oil temp. Look a bit later, all looks normal. After the session, the overflow tank is full.

Not sure what’s happening. I replaced the swirl pot cap in case it is weak, no change. That amount of overflow can’t be just thermal expansion of the coolant. Is a localized flash to steam somewhere causing the cap to release? Is the cap releasing, allow brief low pressure and a steam burp?

I feel like it is well filled with no air pocket cuz the manifold hose and filling slowly with a bucket deal. Stock system calls for a 16psi cap on the swirl pot and 20psi on the radiator. Its tough to believe the pump or thermostat are an issue.

I could try the 20psi cap on the swirl pot? For the moment, I’m relying on the dash temp gage. A water temp gage is in the works. I’m wondering if the ECU drives the gage in non-linear manner. I know my BMW’s were notorious for holding the gage at Normal within a fairly wide range and jumping up to the red when really hot.

I’m planning to add an oil cooler just to lower the heat load on the system.

Any thoughts relative to tracked cars would be appreciated.
    PXL_20240821_153614075.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not gotten to the track yet so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. However, I know some Subaru track people have issues with the different rad caps and I switched mine out after this Flatirons Tuning video. I now have a high pressure cap on the front radiator and the OEM cap on the swirl pot. They even interview Sgt Gator in it and get his take. Also from my research into these forums for the track users it seems like an oil and trans cooler are a must on these cars due to the heat load/soaking that builds up with the engine in the back. I think it is paramount to try to get as much air to move through the engine bay and exhaust it out the back to try and keep temps down. I am working on this now as I add coolers and work the aero pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzjBJz1Zdmw

3. Likes Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that, the video is helpful. I knew the filler tank cap was 2-way, but didn’t realize the radiator cap is not. Makes sense to run lower pressure, as stock, on the filler tank and higher, 1-way on the radiator.

What I’m seeing is weird; it doesn’t seem to be “overheating.” The indicated temp will spike then immediately drop back. It seems transient, not like the whole engine is at high temp. Related to the cap opening probably, lower pressure would lower temp, unless there is a steam flash.

Maybe just a Subaru thing. But anyway, more cooling can’t hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pattern to when the heat spike is encountered? High load, after, random? Frequently, high temps are a latent air bubble in the cooling system, but if you've seen this a few times one would expect the air had worked its way up to the upper reservoir & into the overflow.

You have the rad caps installed correctly; the high pressure cap stays on the radiator, OEM style radiators have no pressure bleed into an overflow. The lower pressure cap is on the upper reservoir; high pressure there will escape/vent to the overflow tank/siphon back.

How did you handle the T connection off the crossover pipe, the heater core loop and the accessory heating of the throttle body and the Oil "cooler" at the OEM oil filter location?
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything on the engine is stock; oil/water cooler, throttle body. The heater pipes are connected with a Cyl 4 mod. Not sure which crossover pipe you're referring to.

It happens when fully warmed up, 2nd and later sessions, which are 20mins. Lots of WOT, full boost; a couple of part throttle longish, double apex corners and 2 good straights. Fully wring out 4th and 5th; just hit 6th on both straights. I didn't comprehend if it was a regular place during the lap.
    bfr.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you done a CO2 sniff test? If you are lifting the heads just enough to allow combustion gases into the water jacket intermittently you will have those symptoms.
    We run one after every track day, it will warn you that things are going wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/UView-560000-.../dp/B000NPDL76

How we burp the 818R:

Coolant lift.jpg

Coolant lift 2.jpg
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer