Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  233
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Rob T's 818R Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pics!
    First pic is your upper coolant reservoir, and that's not an OEM one.
    3 and 4 pics are your Intake cam ACVS solenoid (variable valve/cam timing) and that banjo bolt is connecting to an oil line/gallery. Don't think the leak is from that, as it'd be an oil leak not a water leak.
    I'd focus on checking the clamps, hoses and barbs of the upper reservoir.

Also, how is the tube plumbed into the overflow bottle?
    Last edited by mikeb75; 08-21-2024 at 04:38 PM.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the turbo cooling hose. The one that has the heat shield on it. The lower end is very close to the hot turbo. It's hard to see a leak unless you look from under the car. I carry a spare of that hose to the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found the leak....after I pressurized the system. Here is the orienting picture..
    IMG_8567.jpg

Here is where the leak was....
    IMG_8578.jpgIMG_8579.jpg

Mounting bracket on the back of the aluminum collection box. Bad news was that it was a bugger to find. Good news is that it never would have failed catastrophically....opted for a JB weld solution first, before trying to weld the aluminum with its inherent challenges (for me). I am going to slot one of the mounting holes to allow a little movement and try to keep some of the stress down. Leak is visible on the far right of the mounting bracket. A hairline crack at the weld edge.
    Last edited by Rob T; 08-28-2024 at 05:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Track day yesterday at CMP. 8 cars in my run group, so basically an open track. Car ran great. No coolant leaks. Temps in the 70's. More data to follow.

5. Likes Bob_n_Cincy, Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Track day at CMP on 10/17. 9 cars in my run group. It was cold. About 40F for the first session, with 55 by the third session. Took about 3 laps to get the tires up to temp. The turbo loves the cool air. Coolant temp was 163F and IAT was 87F max.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Track day at CMP on 10/17. 9 cars in my run group. It was cold. About 40F for the first session, with 55 by the third session. Took about 3 laps to get the tires up to temp. The turbo loves the cool air. Coolant temp was 163F and IAT was 87F max.
    What's on the post track day to-do list? I've yet to have a track day without some item that needs attention before the next track day. Curious what others are experiencing. My new clutch arrived yesterday and I'll start the installation a bit later today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Question. I only really had one issue. My push lock button that holds the hood on the driver's side in the back was jammed and I didn't realize it. That caused the hood to lift and cut my first session short. I am going to put a bit of oil on all of those to make sure they don't stick. I also plan to see how the repair to my coolant tank collection box is holding up. Other than that, a quick run-through of fasteners, brake pads, etc. I generally run only three sessions per outing of 20 minute duration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, Is your IAT sensor before of after the AWIC?
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    After. I also have a sensor in the water feed to the AWIC. Generally, I get Ambient +15 degree water temperature to the AWIC heat exchanger and +10 degrees above that For the air going to the engine after the AWIC. My car has a separate radiator in front of the engine radiator (coldest air) for the AWIC water loop. I have also T'd into the AWIC water line after the intercooler and bypass a small amount of water through a tube in shell heat exchanger that cools the 6 spd transmission. With the low flow to the tube in shell, it did not have a negative impact on the AWIC water loop temp.

Post Thanks / Like
    As an additional point, I have only seen one track session where timing was pulled (indicated on the COBB Accessport I have on the dash). It was 95F ambient with higher temps on the track. Other than that, full timing has always been available with this set up. This is also a speed density tune, running 93 Octane gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    As an additional point, I have only seen one track session where timing was pulled (indicated on the COBB Accessport I have on the dash). It was 95F ambient with higher temps on the track. Other than that, full timing has always been available with this set up. This is also a speed density tune, running 93 Octane gas.
    Thanks for the numbers.
    I only have 2 spare ECU inputs so I use them for oil pressure and temperature. (kinda important)
    My air intake is snorkeled to the right side vent so my MAP/AIT sensor gives me track air temp. I can wire that temperature sensor wiring to a sensor right before the throttle body. That may affect my tune.
    Here's a picture of the Sirrocco radiator I use for the AWIC.

awic rad.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My air intake is at the wheel vent. Speed Density (intake temp at throttle body). AWIC. 91 octane gas. No knock detected.

107 degree day, 100% throttle, 4,771 rpm: Intake temp 196, 13.7 psi boost, timing 4.5.

54 degree day, 100% throttle, 4,786 rpm: Intake temp 122, 17.4 psi boost, timing 11.5.

I've asked my tuner at what intake temp should I limp mode. Oddly, he won't give me a hard answer. The ECU deals with it.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213