BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust DB level

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust DB level

WOW.....got tagged by the noise monitor last weekend in the Challenge race at Thunderhill....108 DB. Naturally
    the monitor was located coming on to the straight away. Boy did that kill my lap time lugging my way by it.
    Anyone with suggestions on quieting it down without killing HP. I assume a new set of side pipes are in order
    but question how quiet they would be in comparison.....know of any replacement mufflers that would be better
    or inserts?
    Oh...I sure do enjoy driving the Challenge car with the new upgrades...what a difference!

Robert
    "Last man standing" WestCoast Challenge Series
    (Hopefully a short lived title)

Post Thanks / Like
    Robert, when we ran Limerock (back then 89db, now 87db) we had made a custom insert out of supertrapp that you put at the tip of the exhaust
    http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=27

At first we tried this: did not work

I dont have any better pic but this is what we did on my car, cut the tip off, and made an adapter for the supertrapp:
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    picture above in full resolution click here: http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/gall...k07_042?full=1
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Factory Five Distributor Hammink Performance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We also have the 87db limit over here. We installed new mufflers.
    10.jpg
    6.jpg

As you can see where the band clamp is we cut the stock side exhaust, we also experimented with smaller tips but this did not change anything.
    The new mufflers dropt 12db, but we are still at 99db with the coyote motor and 4.6L 4into4 exhaust.
    Distributor of Factory Five for Europe
    www.hamminkperformance.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tom Coon got tagged with a sound violation at T-Hill during an enduro as well. He had a set of aftermarket (Breeze?) pipes on, but they seemed to be killing HP when he did the upgrades, so he went back to the stock pipes. Not sure if he's run at T-Hill since the change. I believe Dave Standridge ran Supertrapps on his Challenge car some years ago, and he may have some ideas as well.

We just went with the Raptor Racing pipes on our Coupe, and it's under 95 dB....

Karen

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well continuing to research the DB problem for the best solution. In looking at our rules for for the Challenge series, I've got a question...
    can we cut out our existing muffler and install a longer muffler in it's place? Same shape but different internal "baffling". Not finding any
    desirable inserts...minimal noise reduction at the cost of lots of hp

Robert
    West Coast challenge Car #3

Post Thanks / Like
    I got busted at "The Ridge" (new track in Shelton, WA) three weeks ago. Our conference is max of 103 db. I had to put a Vortex cone in one side (the side where the sound meter was). Also got real close at Portland 2 weeks ago. Went 102.4 db. These numbers are with new stock side pipes and J pipes. I need to come up with something better or I'm going to get booted one of these days. What is weird is, Tony Nadalin has the same set up and he was below 100 db at the same track the same day???????

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I did for Thunderhill:

First, if you've got the money, get V Band clamps welded on your sidepipes and buy an extra set of auger mufflered ones. With the V Band clamps you can rotate the pipes under the car and pointed toward the ground. This makes the sound travel away from the monitor, bounce off the pavement, and back and forth under the car before it is expelled. Also, buy some commercial grade metal souring pads and stuff them inside right behind the collectors (If you have V Band clamps), and this will also significantly reduce the noise. I have a 647hp 12:1 race motor and I was able to get it down to 90db at Thunderhill. PS Make sure you do not sit still in the car and idle for any length of time with the pipes turned inward and down. It will make you sick pretty quickly, but as I said, very effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Powell View Post
    I got busted at "The Ridge" (new track in Shelton, WA) I had to put a Vortex cone in one side (the side where the sound meter was).
    I had to use that same Vortex cone last weekend (limit was 95db and I was 95.2 db), I think I need to find a solution over the winter, it may be to cut the tip off, put a 4" Vortex cone in then use the V band clamp to put the tip back on and then I can also turn the tip in any direction I need.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress