Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "How To Build Cobra Kit Cars + Buying Used" - The Book is Available Now!

Post Thanks / Like

"How To Build Cobra Kit Cars + Buying Used" - The Book is Available Now!

Some of you already know about this book that I've recently written. My Dad and I built a FFR Mk4 C.-car replica, and I wrote a how-to book on the process for CarTech Books. The book has been in bookstores since July 15 and is available online from Barnes and Noble and Amazon dot com. In fact, the book is already receiving great reviews on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble. For more information on the car that my Dad and I built and the book that I wrote, you can read the first test drive article on my automotive enthusiast magazine on the internet, www.RedlineReview.com. Embedded in this article is a FFR created video from the 2012 FFR HB Cruise-In, held in April of this year. Here's the link to the article: http://www.redlinereview.com/factory...test-drive.htm. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't bought the book, please go ahead and do yourself a favor and grab a copy! It is a very well done book, and a great build manual on Brian's car.

It is a super companion piece to the build manual. Great pictures, good dialog, as well as a few tips and tricks.

I pre-ordered mine on Amazon, and have it next to my chair! I look at it frequently, and it is well worth adding to your collection! You won't be disappointed!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    If you haven't bought the book, please go ahead and do yourself a favor and grab a copy! It is a very well done book, and a great build manual on Brian's car.

It is a super companion piece to the build manual. Great pictures, good dialog, as well as a few tips and tricks.

I pre-ordered mine on Amazon, and have it next to my chair! I look at it frequently, and it is well worth adding to your collection! You won't be disappointed!!

Regards,

Steve
    Steve,

Thanks so much for your kind words. You could also go on Amazon dot com and on Barnes and Noble dot com and give the book nice, 5-stars review. But, I don't want to be pushy. :-)

In all seriousness, thank you so much for the kind words and the recommendation. Dad and I had a blast building the car, and I even enjoyed writing and doing the photography for the book.

Best regards,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got this book and its great. I did not go to build school so its good to have more help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the book worth getting? Is the information current?

Post Thanks / Like
    its definately current.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by couchflyer View Post
    Is the book worth getting? Is the information current?
    Couch, or should I say Mr. Flyer?

The information is very current, and quite useful! I mentioned that it was a great companion piece for the build manual, and I meant it!

Brian built himself a fine car (with his Dad), and documented it quite well, with good tips and suggestions. It also has a great deal of pictures, and explains some particularly challenging sections gracefully.

I think of it as a couple of guys sitting around the mancave drinking some beers, and talking about how to build their car; only it's done in print.

I highly recommend it. If you are unhappy, I would be stunned! By all means judge for yourself!

Incidentally, I am generally pretty easy with kind words, but withhold strong compliments for those that are truly worthy (ask my boys!!), so please take this for what it is-- a true strong buy suggestion from a pretty critical guy!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered a copy and should have it in a few days.

Joey.S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey.S View Post
    I just ordered a copy and should have it in a few days.

Joey.S
    Joey,

Thank you! I hope it proves very useful to you and you like it.

Best,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoSmith View Post
    Joey,

Thank you! I hope it proves very useful to you and you like it.

Best,

Brian
    I will let you know.

Joey.S

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first post and to tell the truth i'm an all around newbie around these parts. I convinced my fiance to "allow" (so empowering) the build to commence, so the first battle has been won.

I just ordered the book to mentally prepare myself before im close to getting financially prepared to get into a roadster build. I have some pretty limited automotive knowledge so im hopful that the kits and reading materials ill accumulate will allow me the ability to complete the build without failing miserably. Thanks for putting it together. It seems like you've cornered a niche market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGxPAPPA View Post
    This is my first post and to tell the truth i'm an all around newbie around these parts. I convinced my fiance to "allow" (so empowering) the build to commence, so the first battle has been won.

I just ordered the book to mentally prepare myself before im close to getting financially prepared to get into a roadster build. I have some pretty limited automotive knowledge so im hopful that the kits and reading materials ill accumulate will allow me the ability to complete the build without failing miserably. Thanks for putting it together. It seems like you've cornered a niche market.
    Thank you for ordering the book. Have you ordered a kit yet. It doesn't sound like it.

Be assured that with your knowledge and perseverance, you'll be able to build a nice Cobra replica, especially if you use the book I've written and you're an active Cobra forums member. Are you also aware of the other two Cobra replica forums? If not, the addresses are FFCars.com and ClubCobra.com.

Best of success with your upcoming project!

Sincerely,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the book on Friday. I have a Mk4 kit coming in late October so I have focused on the build sections. Having read the manual provided by FFR, I found the pictures with attached captioning very useful in filling in some of the steps not fully explained or pictured in the manual. The tips provided along the way should be very helpful during the build. The ultimate value will be seen during the build, but it has been invaluable in planning the build. I wish I would have read it before placing my order. Last but not least it is a great confidence builder. Buy it and study it if you are serious about building a roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    I received the book on Friday. I have a Mk4 kit coming in late October so I have focused on the build sections. Having read the manual provided by FFR, I found the pictures with attached captioning very useful in filling in some of the steps not fully explained or pictured in the manual. The tips provided along the way should be very helpful during the build. The ultimate value will be seen during the build, but it has been invaluable in planning the build. I wish I would have read it before placing my order. Last but not least it is a great confidence builder. Buy it and study it if you are serious about building a roadster.
    Hi Carl,

Thanks for buying the book and for the kind words. Your perspective validates what we were trying to achieve in writing the book. We agree that the FFR Mk4 build manual is great, but some of the black and white photos aren't as illustrative as full color photos can be. The original book was supposed to be 60,000 words, 14 chapters and 300 photos. The book wound up being 110,000 words, 18 chapters and 510 photos. Hence, I hope it's nice and thorough.

Best of success with your upcoming project. You'll have a blast in the building.

Sincerely,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, got your book from amazon and really enjoyed reading it. A great reference source and addition to the FFR assembly manual. After reading the book I came across an online review that included a snippet from your book on the IRS assembly. The review included a few large format high resolution photos that had outstanding detail and clarity that the smaller photos in the book could not match. My suggestion would be to include a CD with the book or a web site so that those of us that that purchased your book can access and view the pictures in your book in a larger format.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nodoze View Post
    Brian, got your book from amazon and really enjoyed reading it. A great reference source and addition to the FFR assembly manual. After reading the book I came across an online review that included a snippet from your book on the IRS assembly. The review included a few large format high resolution photos that had outstanding detail and clarity that the smaller photos in the book could not match. My suggestion would be to include a CD with the book or a web site so that those of us that that purchased your book can access and view the pictures in your book in a larger format.
    Hi Nodoze,

I will suggest such an option to my publisher, CarTech Books. I have not seen the online review with photos. Could you send me a link to this, either publicly or private?

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for the kind words about the book. You may wish to give the book 5-star reviews on Barnes & Noble dot com and on Amazon (hint, hint).

Best regards,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Great book and a must have! Got it halfway through my build and there is still plenty of useful and interesting information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered mine
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Tech Support, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    This book is a great wealth of information, and would be very handy to have during a build. It is basically like having "The Build School" in book form.

Dan@FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got mine, it looks very interesting lots pictures and detailed explanations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Golub View Post
    This book is a great wealth of information, and would be very handy to have during a build. It is basically like having "The Build School" in book form.

Dan@FFR
    Thanks for the kind words, Dan! We appreciate it!

Best,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got mine, it looks very interesting lots pictures and detailed explanations.
    Thanks, Joey! We hope that the book proves useful with the building of your car.

Best regards,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoSmith View Post
    Thanks, Joey! We hope that the book proves useful with the building of your car.

Best regards,

Brian
    I just read through a few more chapters very informative book well worth the money!

Joey

Post Thanks / Like
    I just read through a few more chapters very informative book well worth the money!

Joey
    Joey,

Thank you kindly! Glad you got your money's worth!

Best,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Order placed! Looks like a great book!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajt725 View Post
    Order placed! Looks like a great book!
    Thanks mucho for ordering the book! We hope it proves very informative and useful for you.

Best regards,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve, I am in the just considering phase of the Cobra. I did purchase the book, I look forward to reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my copy this last week and it's well done. A great adjunct to the manual and the form. Well worth the money. Thanks Brian excellent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK C View Post
    I received my copy this last week and it's well done. A great adjunct to the manual and the form. Well worth the money. Thanks Brian excellent!
    Nick,

Thanks for the kind words. We're glad you like it!

Best,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered the book from amazon. Really want to order the Cobra kit just need to save the money up. What kind of emission laws do you have to follow for California?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick99 View Post
    Just ordered the book from amazon. Really want to order the Cobra kit just need to save the money up. What kind of emission laws do you have to follow for California?
    Thanks for ordering the book. We hope you'll have the money saved up for the kit real soon, so you can get to the building of the car.

In California, we have pretty strict emission laws. We have something called SB100. There are 500 SB100 numbers available to builders of hand assembled cars that the California DMV doles out each year. Builders line up at various DMVs all over the Golden State on January 2 to purchase one of these 500 numbers. You have to bring all your receipts for your project that you have thus far. The DMV bases your SB100 fees on the receipts that are provided. If you get one of the 500 numbers, you also get a three-month temporary permit. For us, we weren't far enough in our build to take advantage of the permit. In fact, we didn't finish the car until the following April, a year and four months later.

So, we went to the DMV the following April and learned that we had more items to handle, since our car was finally finished. We needed to get our lights and brakes inspected. We also needed to visit the dreaded California Smog Bureau to find out what (if any) emissions needed to be on the car. We had been told many different stories about whether any smog equipment needed to be installed, from nothing to the full Monty. Oh, we also had to go to the California Highway Patrol to get it inspected there and to have our VIN recorded with the cops.

Being the intrepid adventurers that we are, we went to the Ca Highway Patrol first. Fortunately, the Highway Patrolman who helped us, Officer Walker, was a huge car enthusiast. He knew quite a bit about Factory Five and was very impressed with our build. In fact, he was supposed to install our VIN tag, but he suggested we do it, because he didn't want to make any mistakes. He recommended where we should put it and sent us on our way.

The appointment with the mechanic for inspecting the brakes and lights had to be changed. A local shop that could inspect our Mk4 said that we had to have self cancelling turn signals and emergency hazard flashing lights on our car. Even after we explained that our car replicates a '65 Cobra that didn't have those items, the guy would not relent. So, we made an appointment to see a different shop that was 20 miles away. He took the car for a test drive, checked the brakes and all lights and passed us with flying colors. He said on the certificate that the car is a replica of a '65 Shelby Cobra 427SC and is equipped just as a '65 Cobra is, in terms of the lights.

With all of that out of the way, we phoned the dreaded Smog Bureau. The nearest Smog station was 35 miles away. Hence, I drove down there and learned that, even though our car is a replica of a '65 Cobra 427 that had no smog, we needed to install a vacuum line from the valve cover breather cap to the bottom of the air cleaner, since we already had a PCV (pollution control valve) on the passenger side valve cover to intake manifold. This would enable the spent fumes to recirculate in the engine.

I made one last trip (for now) to the auto parts store and bought the goods that would enable me to install the vacuum line. I went home and did a little custom work to make it fit, drove the car back to the Smog place at the appointed time and got the certificate installed in my engine bay that stipulates our car is Smog Exempt! How great is that?

There was just one more appointment we needed to accomplish to get license plates. I went to the Oceanside DMV with many of the receipts from our build. They told us we had to provide them with the originals. I made copies and gave the lady at the DMV the copies. She said these are copies. We need the originals. I yelled at her. "This is my car. I built it. I paid for it. You get the copies of the receipts. I am keeping the originals." I gave her my best crazy car nut stare. She got someone else to help me, who was an absolute nice person, as opposed to the bureaucratic moron that the first person was. This second DMV employee took my paperwork, had me sign a couple forms and gave me my plates. Success! We finally had a California legal Factory Five Racing Mk4 Cobra roadster replica!

Our travails with making the car California legal may be different than what others experience here in the land of fruits and nuts. It seems as though it's the luck of the draw, in terms of who is helping you at the DMV, at the CA Smog Bureau, at the CA Highway Patrol and at the brake and light inspection shop. When going through these challenges, you need to recognize whether the person you're dealing with knows their job. In their defense, I guess they don't see too many people who have built their own car, so they may not know what the laws and the rules are. If you get someone who seems to not know what they're doing, you may be better off cancelling the appointment and coming back another day and time (in the hopes that you get someone knowledgeable/helpful).

I didn't have the opportunity to write about this stuff in the book, so here it is for the California residents. I hope it's helpful.

Thanks again for purchasing the book! We hope it proves to be a valuable resource in your build.

Best,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my copy last week. It's nicely done - good organization, well-written text, and good photo quality.

It won't take the place of the FF build manual (no way it can cover that level of detail given the page count) but it does offer some tidbits that you won't find in the manual. I'd consider it to be a supplement to the build manual. It's well worth the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I received my copy last week. It's nicely done - good organization, well-written text, and good photo quality.

It won't take the place of the FF build manual (no way it can cover that level of detail given the page count) but it does offer some tidbits that you won't find in the manual. I'd consider it to be a supplement to the build manual. It's well worth the price.
    Thank you. You are spot on with your assessment regarding the book. We would have needed to have more page count than the manual to replace the build manual.

The book has something the manual doesn't have -- a guide for what to look for should you wish to buy a used Cobra replica. Of course, the FFR build manual's not going to have that (nothing like stating the obvious).

Best,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up on the registration and smog info. Man that could become a nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick99 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the registration and smog info. Man that could become a nightmare.
    You're welcome. It can indeed be quite a nightmare. You just need to have your wits about you, know what you're doing and be persistent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered mine last week from Amazon solely based on the reviews on here and the Amazon reviews. Looking forward to it.

Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3yearplan View Post
    Ordered mine last week from Amazon solely based on the reviews on here and the Amazon reviews. Looking forward to it.

Mike.
    Mike,

Thank you for taking the leap of faith. Please know that my Dad, my family, my friends and I did our absolute best on building the car, and I put my heart, soul and brain into the writing and photography to create this book. With this book I've been able to realize two lifelong dreams. Since the mid-1980's I've wanted to create a Cobra replica. And from the time I first read Martin Eden by Jack London as a Junior in high school, I've wanted to be a published author of a book.

My hope is that How To Build Cobra Replicas + Buying Used will prove to be a valuable resource in the building of your dream Cobra replica.

Best regards,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,
    Just got the book in the mail. Looks first rate. I'll be reading at work tonight for sure. Who works at work when you have this book to read and enjoy ? Probably something out of your control, but "Printed In China" ? Just a little ribbing, not at all being serious, so hopefully no one will freak out on me.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3yearplan View Post
    Brian,
    Just got the book in the mail. Looks first rate. I'll be reading at work tonight for sure. Who works at work when you have this book to read and enjoy ? Probably something out of your control, but "Printed In China" ? Just a little ribbing, not at all being serious, so hopefully no one will freak out on me.

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Glad you like it so far. Yeah, the fact that CarTech Books prints all of its books in China presents a challenge for us car builders/car authors. The printed books are actually shipped via ship from China, which makes the challenge of beating editing/publishing deadlines that much more daunting.

We wish you the best of success with your build once you get going with the project!

Sincerely,

Brian