Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818R brakes and aero questions

Post Thanks / Like

818R brakes and aero questions

Now that SEMA is over, I thought more details aboutthe "R" would be released. I have searched around but could not come up with answers.

I would assume the 818r will have Wilwood brake system. Does anyone know if this is going to include the pedal/master cylinder assemblies? I also assume the system would be non boosted? With a Balance adjustment?

As for the aero, will the front splitter be adjustable? How about the wing being adjustable? Completely flat under floor?

I want an 818R, and I am waiting to see how it performs and see how it is equipped. The needed donor parts should be much less that the 818s, especially if the brake system is supplied.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 99.99% sure it will be an upgrade, man. A complete braking system like that costs $2,000-3,000 -- I simply can't see it being included in an $11,000 chassis package. The challenge series Cobra is a $15K kit and doesn't include brakes either. In fact, the spec series still uses the donor brakes I believe.

The rear wing will also most likely be an option, as the manufacturer sells it for ~$1,200 on it's own.

We'll probably get a fiberglass splitter standard with Carbon fiber being an option. I'm hoping I'm wrong, and that the splitter and carbon dash are standard, but i just can't see it happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that the Wilwood brakes are intended as an option. The stock Subie brakes should be incredible on a vehicle that weighs 30% less.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    the brakes, splitter, diffuser, rear wing etc will be an optional extra with either the 818s/r...

with that said i would think that the wilwood brakes would only be the calipers, rotors, pads... but i'm sure for a bit extra you could get a valve and mc added on too

yes the apr rear wing is adjustable...

not sure about the adjustability of the front splitter, but the bottom of the car is pretty flat to begin with...

Post Thanks / Like
    This helps a lot. I'm wondering all the same questions and will be adding the Willwood package as I love them on my current Miata. Can we run 4/6 pot calipers without an E-Brake (great way to warp your rotors on the track anyways). Does anyone have the donor list for th 818R? Obviously we can't know for sure. My biggest question about th 818R is what limitations would there be from moving the off center single seat to a fully centered seat? I'm thinking aftermarket push pull cables for the shifting would be needed and the rack would need full modification or possibly a circle track aftermarket unit. The dash shouldn't be a big deal. I think the triangulation on the cockpit would not be heavily compromised if it was taken out and replaced with a smaller length tube on each side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brakes on the R will probably be like wheels on the R. Too many guys want to do too many things. Offer anything and only 5%-10% will want exactly that. The brakes/wheels you choose for Solo (autocross) will be different from the ones you choose for a track day/road race which would different from the ones for hill climb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have had wilwoods, sti brembos, subaru 4 pots and stop tech brakes on my various Subarus over the years. The stop techs were awsome, they stopped the car on a dime and held up very well and are my number 1, problem is they are expensive like 4-5k for all four. The Sti Brembos and Subaru 4 pots were fantastic and stopped second to the stop techs. The brembos have bigger front rotors so they had better heat control than the 4 pots during hard braking on tracks and or autocross. The 4 pots are slightly more reliable so I place them at a tie. The wilwoods stopped great, looked great, but I always had issues with them leaking, breaking and once a piston was defective and would not work. They always covered the problems, but it was a pain and should not happen. I am not the only person to claim this. I like there products and would buy them again, maybe I just had a bad egg. When they were working they were almost as good as the Stoptechs, but pretty much like the brembos. I think the sti Brembos or 4 pots are your best option for price point and reliability

Post Thanks / Like
    not to mention that some st pads, decent rotors, and good fluid (lines if you want some consistent feel stuff) will really help too...

for a car this light, i'm going to do some basic upgrades to the stock brakes and see if i need more... i have a feeling that they will be quite good for the money spent...

Post Thanks / Like
    My wilwoods dumped fluid inside both pass side wheels causing an embarissing 12 cone penalty in a chicago box. I chalked it up to a fluke, but more I research leaks are common. I went out & got a tiny flair wrench for the little SAE nipples & a power bleader. Been great ever since. I thought it might be the super blue fluid too. I still would buy another set. Was thinking 4 pot rears 6 pot fronts nice proportioning valve & no E brake. I'm still torn between center mounting the seat & leaving it to have space for accusump & cool suit maybe a halon system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoke to Jim at SEMA about the brakes. He said the stock brakes were actually too much for the car and very touchy. He was thinking of moving the pedal dynamics so as to require more pedal pressure and more predictability. He said other option was to remove booster and add pedal pressure. Stock brakes should be good for a car with at least 250 HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Speculation sucks. I really need to focus on basics no add ons nice NA motor. The one & only thing I have my heart set on is center mounting the seat. Too many cone marks on pass side of my Miata. I think modest power & just tuning the great platform HP helped design is the way to go (I work for HP so slight influence).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Racebrewer View Post
    The stock Subie brakes should be incredible on a vehicle that weighs 30% less.
    ....and even better on a car like the 818 which will weigh 44% less

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Spoke to Jim at SEMA about the brakes. He said the stock brakes were actually too much for the car and very touchy.

So then I guess I can find another use for these:

Last edited by Turboguy; 11-06-2012 at 12:24 PM.