Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Compatable steering racks

Post Thanks / Like

Compatable steering racks

I've seen that early WRX racks have a different mount (clamp over rubber vs. cast mounting ears) but mount at the same location

WRX have slower ratio than STI but same mounts

F5 Donor listing includes NA Imprezas, do they have the same ratio as a WRX?

My 05 WRX rack was destroyed, I bought a rack from an 06 impreza wagon (photo included), it doesn't come close to the same mounts, input is a different shaft (flats vs splines) and comes out at a different angle (See photo, WRX rack on top)

I see AJW using an outback sport as a NA donor...
    what racks will actually work?

I'm confused
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 07-30-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see the N/As using a different mount because non-turbos use a completely different crossmember (rack bolts to crossmember). I am curious about the input splines because I see no reason to have different steering columns for the N/As.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the '89-'94 First gen Legacies had the fastest racks until the STIs and '06+ WRXs. They would use the older mounting and have non-WRX input splines.

Post Thanks / Like
    so the 818 chassis will be made to mount two very different rack assemblies...

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see any way around that if FFR is aiming to make ALL '02-'07 Imprezas proper donors. Good news for those contemplating using even older Subarus as donors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    I don't see any way around that if FFR is aiming to make ALL '02-'07 Imprezas proper donors. Good news for those contemplating using even older Subarus as donors.
    sounds like re-using the front cross member for the car could have saved them a little extra work, though it would look terrible and and be mostly useless...
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    so... does anyone know what the ratio is for the NA rack? I can only find WRX and STI data online.
    Do I depower my NA rack, expecting to use it and adapt from my WRX column to NA rack? The go kart does show some additional joints and a horizontal rack.
    Or do I find a WRX rack and depower it?
    I did get a refund for the incorrect rack and they didn't even want it back...
    Can anyone else verify that I just didn't get a wrong part? Anyone dismantling an NA donor yet?
    NAPA does list them as different, incompatable parts... Didn't have them in stock though to visually verify

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    so... does anyone know what the ratio is for the NA rack? I can only find WRX and STI data online.
    It's not a conclusive answer, but Cars101.com lists the 2006 WRX as having 2.7 turns lock to lock and a 35.4ft turning radius while the Impreza sedan and Outback Sport have the same turning radius with 3.0 turns lock to lock.

You might try calling one of these guys, they might know off the top of their head:
    http://www.q-rack.com/AboutQRack.html
    http://www.landefabrication.com/products.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I depower my NA rack, expecting to use it and adapt from my WRX column to NA rack? The go kart does show some additional joints and a horizontal rack.
    Or do I find a WRX rack and depower it?
    I did get a refund for the incorrect rack and they didn't even want it back...
    Can anyone else verify that I just didn't get a wrong part? Anyone dismantling an NA donor yet?
    NAPA does list them as different, incompatable parts... Didn't have them in stock though to visually verify
    I'm sure the info you need is somewhere on nasioc

Post Thanks / Like
    here's a good bit of info
    http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t155...ap-thread.html

If you want a good upgrade, http://www.q-rack.com/AboutQRack.html that's it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wanting to center mount my seat in 818R. That means I have 2 options as I see it. 1 buy a rack meant for a race car such as a circle track or 2 modify a subaru rack (most likely the better but more time consuming option). I'm not sure if moving the shifter box will create too tight radius bends in the push/pull cables as they are or if I will need custom cables. I will also need to rework diagonal brace in cockpit, but I think 2 short braces (1 on each side of me) will do nicely.

Does anyone on here have information about modifying these subaru racks? I have seen it done on other cars so I am sure its been documented.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FSM has two different sections and two different sets of tools required to disassemble the NA vs turbo racks, so they certainly are different.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I now have examples of both, they are very different so I'll be interested but not involved... as I did buy a 06 WRX rack that I depowered. If anyone needs a good, low milege Impreza (non WRX) rack I have one here for sale

Post Thanks / Like
    This was one of the questions I wanted to ask FFR about. How do they address the different style mounting for the different style racks.

FWIW-

Old style mount- 93-05 Impreza (all, L, Brighton, WRX, RS etc)
    04' STI

New Style mounts- 05-07 WRX/STI

16.5:1 ratio- 93-05 impreza, RS, L, WRX, 06-07 non turbo Impreza

15:1 ratio- 04' STI, 06-07 WRX/STI
    1998 Subaru Forester
    Full 06' STI conversion
    Twin scroll low mount headers
    HX35/40 turbo, ITB Custom intake manifold

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the chassis pictures so far it seems both will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, for those that may have a hard time locating the "faster" racks:

The first gen Legacy ('90-'94) had the early style rack mounts with an "inbetween" ratio of 16.0:1. The column ujoints are the early style like the '93-'01 Impreza.

Post Thanks / Like
    The go kart from SEMA used the old style rack. The original go kart used the 06 rack. They mount the same, just one requires a steel U bracket, the other bolts more directly.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    so as long as the rack matches the steering column you are fine...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can make them both work, there are provisions for the 02-07 impreza, wrx or sti