Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Those Looking for a NA Donor

Post Thanks / Like

Those Looking for a NA Donor

There is a 2007 Impreza Outback with 40K miles going to auction today at the Portland, OR Copart facility. Lot #26632372.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's an EJ253 motor isn't it??

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    There is a 2007 Impreza Outback with 40K miles going to auction today at the Portland, OR Copart facility. Lot #26632372.
    One caveat to folks looking at Outbacks as donors. Make certain that the vehicle IS an Impreza-based Outback (aka Outback Sport). The regular Outbacks (I think) are based on the Legacy chassis. (Subie experts -- correct me if I'm wrong....)

Post Thanks / Like
    That is correct.

The only Legacy based Outbacks that could make "single donors" are the '96-'99 models, which are older than (but otherwise similiar to) the stated donors of the '02-'07 Impreza.

Post Thanks / Like
    Despite my lack of Subie knowledge, that is one fact I was actually aware of! Good to point out for others, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    That is correct.

The only Legacy based Outbacks that could make "single donors" are the '96-'99 models, which are older than (but otherwise similiar to) the stated donors of the '02-'07 Impreza.
    Ooooooh, that's very useful information. In my case where I plan to stay NA, but otherwise do some extensive modifications (i.e. brakes, engine rebuild/modification, etc) a 15 year old Outback could be found on the real cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    So your saying if I get a 99 outback sport it would work ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    So your saying if I get a 99 outback sport it would work ?
    I think what PhyrraM was saying is that the older (96-99) full-sized Outbacks would probably make acceptable single donors. Presumably, the Outback Sports from those years would also work -- assuming that the Outback Sport existed then. But I speculate..........

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a 99 sport by me, and a good price, hope to check out Sat

Post Thanks / Like
    Without knowing all the kit details yet, I can't say for certain that anything outside of the stated '02-'07 Impreza based cars *will* make a single donor.

However, I can say that using a '90-99 Legacy based car or an '93-'01 Impreza based car will only have minor challanges. Most of those should be overcomable by a good "backyard mechanic" or even "internet scrounger".

Off the top of my head, some of the minor differences you may see are:
    Cable clutches on some early cars.
    Different hinges, mirrors, and minor trim and brackets that FFR *MAY* reuse.
    Slightly different bolt hole locations on the pedal and column assemblies. (Same shape, just need to redrill)
    Instrument cluster will not fit the FFR provided dash panel without some degree of rework or cover-up.
    There *may* be a difference in the transmission that requires a different 2WD conversion kit than the one FFR will provide. Commercial kits are available.

I haven't touched on the engine variations, but all will bolt in. Early cars had 1.8 and 2.2 SOHC motors, later cars had 2.5 DOHC and SOHC motors.
    Last edited by PhyrraM; 11-15-2012 at 09:19 AM.