BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advice/Opinions on upgrades

Post Thanks / Like

Advice/Opinions on upgrades

Migrating from the "other" forum...

I am purchasing an old-spec Challenge Car. My driving plan is to spend a year-ish learning between AX, HPDE, and TT (with the intent or learning and having fun), then start racing.

With this in mind:
    - what would you suggest for upgrades to the new Spec in priority order?
    - what sources for the parts?
    - is there special TFS pricing for Challenge Car owners? Trying to save...

Also, I noticed looking at NASA events last year, I didn't see the Challenge series listed at least once, when apparently they were running. What is the best place to find out where the cars will be in my area (large area, working with an airline). Be nice to meet some of you in person!

Finally, I have a 5.0L with TFS injectors, TB, MAF and 1.7 lifters on stock heads. Would this add ANY power? Not sure how much the lifters open up the breathing, or how much it matters with a stock cam.

The seller is going to keep the car over the winter to do these (he is far more experienced than I am with FF Challenge cars!) for a project, so I will leave the simpler tasks for my limited time schedule! :-)

Thanks!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I am writing this pressuming that your only driving experience is on road thus far.

Before you do anything ..... READ THE RULES (2013 Rules here) ..... This is the easiest way to save time/money/heartache.

You won't be competitieve in any of the TT classes, but your progression through the ranks you described seems like you're more interested in seat time and fun. Seat time will be the most valuable time/money spent.

I would start with the front end upgrades first; sway bar, brakes, SN95 spindles. Sway bar, spindle kit is from FFR, the calipers, pads, rotors you get locally or online.

If the motor runs fine I would leave it alone until you're ready to do the top end kit. If you're planning on competing w/ the FFR guys, worrying about making power now, pre-top end kit, to me is wasted effort. Learn the car and get a handle on it's handling characteristics while learning to drive fast. Top end kit is through Eddi at Trick Flow. I think his contact info is listed in another thread here.

The rules are pretty tight and the package generally works pretty well; there have been some fairly minor problems but they have either been isolated incidents or taken care of with upgrades to the kit.

As far as where other people are, keep an eye out on this board. As NASA region schedules are released, particularly on the east coast, somebody will probably set up an "East Coast Challenge" schedule that usually attracts several cars; I know they ran Road Atlanta last year.

This is a great series. There is a little more up front cost than most but long term after you work out your bugs you pretty much just change oil and tires. Great bunch of guys and gals also.

Joe
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joe, the only reason I ask about the lifters and such is because I have them all already, and all but the lifters would eventually go on anyway. But, point taken.

And yes, exactly on the TT. Just more of a way to get seat time, and I am not sure how it compares to track days, but more opportunity to work on the craft w/o passing complications, after I get enough instruction to practice technique. And, I would have myself to "compete" against. :-)

I have read the rules a few times, but an still working on understanding some of them vis a vis this car. Good thing is, the seller, Bob Kay, has some experience with Challenge Cars and is father in law to Jim S., so hopefully we will all get the car set up right the first time and be legal. Bob is going to make the modifications to the car over the winter, I just have to buy them. And the fuel cell bladder, as the old is out of date.

I will check with Factory Five - re: spindle kit, include the SAI type steering geometry change brackets? And I got the Rock Auto brake info from Marty.

Yep, seems like a great group of guys...across the country! I've been anxious to do this for a few years...

Best regards,
    Eric

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Eric,

Don't forget that "GoPro" camera and the body mount so we can see some video of your first run. You know what they say, "if you don't record it, it didn't happen!" Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hey Eric,

Don't forget that "GoPro" camera and the body mount so we can see some video of your first run. You know what they say, "if you don't record it, it didn't happen!" Good luck, WEK.
    Funny you should say that. I was a winner of the "Every day someone wins..." and have the entire Go Pro set up!

I have the brakes & the FF update kit ordered, and they should be installed before too long. Feels like the fun is just around the corner!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, Seat time is the most important item, along with some coaching/instruction.I agree that upgrading the front suspension is the first upgrade to the car. Thefirst upgrade to the driver is coaching. Some of it can be self taught. Read some good books. Try it out, see what works for you.Nasa has some great instructors/coaches. Also look at commercial schools or club schools. I have personal experience with Danny Collins, now closed, Skip Barber. both school and Formula Ford series , Bob Bondurant, advanced training at Sears POINT and Arizona, Steamboat Springs Ice Driving School 1 -800 WHY SKID,may go again this winter, Jim Hall GoKarts,And Keith Code''s Superbike School(Probably the best school I have attended. Hustling sport bikes around road courses.It is therapy, and I am OVERDUE.) All of these are good,some are great at some things,average at others. Often depends on who you instructor is.
    I have been very impressed with Hooked On Driving in Northern Califoirnia. They are not a racing school,but a driving school. One way traffic, no speed limitts, graduated classes... the top classes will test most racers ability to keep up. Full disclosure, I, on occasion coach in the beginners class.
    In my opinion, it all comes down to seat time, SMART SEAT TIME. Have fun,go fast, wave as you pass me. Ed

karts