Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  111

Thread: CV2065 MKIV Build Thread - Graduated!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Went out today to stretch her legs. First time out of the neighborhood and went about 40 miles. Stayed cool as a cucumber and was even asked what I do for a living at a gas station. LOL...If people only knew....Anyhow. A few observations:

1. Steering is a little 'sticky' meaning just a nudge moves it more than I'm used to in a 'modern' car. Not a lot, just different. Then again, I've always had manual steering in my classics, so point of reference is zero.
    2. Lots of heat coming up through the channel under the door from the engine compartment. I'll be getting some expanding window foam for that gap as it may have gotten left off. Who needs heated seats??
    3. Tires make a brief high pitched sound going fast around curves on the back roads. This is either because its a new road or I need an alignment. I'm going with door #2. That happens on Tuesday.
    4. Thought I smelled something burning on the first part of the drive. I think it was my new ceramic coated heat shields heating up. Stopped the car to look around and nothing, then it went away. So I'll go with that.
    5. Asked if this was a Porsche and if the 19 year old asking became an Engineer, can he get one too? I said of course.

It was a good day!
    I'm not sure what kind of power steering pump you're using but my Saginaw runs at 1200 PSI. This creates a twitchiness in the rack. I installed a reducer that brings the pressure down to 800 PSI. This smooths the steering considerably. I have not built my Cobra yet but have had this issue on other cars.

FYI
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of power steering pump you're using but my Saginaw runs at 1200 PSI. This creates a twitchiness in the rack. I installed a reducer that brings the pressure down to 800 PSI. This smooths the steering considerably. I have not built my Cobra yet but have had this issue on other cars.

FYI
    Thanks for the tip. My main issue was a bad alignment. Got that dialed in and was good to go!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2