Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have heads with two vent nipples or just one? If two, you might consider a crossover tube like I made and ditching some unnecessary water lines. Made from 5/8" thin-walled soft aluminum tubing.
    Note how clean my water crossover manifold is. I actually went to thin-walled Neoprene tubing for the vent T hoses. You don't need a throttle body heat system.
    Turbo water fittings could come straight out of housing?
    Glad to see you back on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    Hey! I recognise that front bumper!!

Glad you're finally back! The wait was long.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    yeah i would relocate, that's just a mess of hose over there, a custom breather manifold under the intake would be pretty cool.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    We did just that using dash 10 lines to a T out of the PVC valve hole, then deleted the oil filler and put in a dash 12 fitting there to the DS tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, a bit more stuff! Turbo wastegate was flapping about. Crap in the turbo worsened. Welded that up at work(thanks to a friend)

Also, spent so long delaying because of $ and how much I had planned (shift linkage/MR2 shifter swap, the new trans, the AWIC and side vents) that I decided to dial it back. Gonna do 1 at a time. So I unclocked the turbo:

Also got some new clamps..... one at a time! But man they are nice.
    Last edited by Pearldrummer7; 12-24-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, off topic: I rode at Barber over thanksgiving. WOW that is a crazy track. Mostly on the ninja(600), partly on a borrowed R3

One more "aside"– I have hella long 2 piece race ramps (131" I think?) that I no longer need now that I have a hella low trailer. In case anyone wants them; they helped me load the 818 on a really tall trailer in years past

Last edited by Pearldrummer7; 12-24-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad. I built some 3 piece plywood ramps to solve the same problem two years ago. How high are they at the end where the trailer ramps went? How much do you want for them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to go too far off-topic, but how was the R3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Too bad. I built some 3 piece plywood ramps to solve the same problem two years ago. How high are they at the end where the trailer ramps went? How much do you want for them?
    Posted a for sale thread here

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...396#post306396

Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Not to go too far off-topic, but how was the R3?
    R3 was neat. Little bikes are always fun. I prefer the Ninja 300 to it, but I also prefer my Ninja 600 to an R6
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You're still in NY? Well your avatar is.

How hella low is your new trailer? Low in terms of height or in terms of angle?

Happy Holidays and don't forget to buy your Trumpy Bear! lolll
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I was just about to start the 818 when I realized I had a fuel leak from an injector. Pulled it off and found this as an o-ring:

Guess I'm doing all my o-rings! Also, I got tow mirrors for the Ferd. 'Murica! So huge compared to the 818.

Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thems be bad! I mean the mirrors. A little drag but hey, you will see everyone behind you.
    Nice to see you thinking out of the box! They will be really intimidating...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pm sent.. my new garage has a lip, these new ramps might be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trigger warning: janky stuff below. Not for the faint of heart.

I had some JANK around the engine, and my second fuel leak (an old hose that was sweating) was my breaking point to do a little overhaul on it. I replaced all the fuel hoses, hitting coolant hoses with some cleanup, removing unused wiring (PS pressure sensor, TGV stuff), and got rid of some monstrosities down there. My welded shut PCV valve was missing on my first track day (fell out), so I got out my JB welder on my spare valve. That has since been holding pressure in my manifold. Yikes.

Cleaning up some wiring.....bachelor style. Some Subaru bros do TGV deletes.... I did that and TGV wiring deletes. Mostly for cleanliness in the engine bay, but every ounce counts!

Think this held pressure?

Said fuel leak. I knew I was on borrowed time here.

I was going to replace all the unused hose connectors with just bolts, but dudes, wtf thread is it?? M10x.9? 3/8 - 27? It's a strange size according to my measurements(calipers + thread finder). Might just weld them shut. Also, anyone know what this hose was for? I am going to plug it, but didn't know what its deal was.

Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It's likely the metric equivalent of 1/8" NPT. I suggest just tapping it to that. It is a tapered thread. It is very close to the NPT size. At least when I plug unused holes for fittings I re-tap them and I have mostly NPT sensor ends so I re-tap those too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subaru uses a Japanese "npt" known as JIS; equivalent to BSPT not NPT for pipe threads. There is a slight difference from BSPT in the seats. Strangely, it is not metric, it's Imperial. See: https://www.adaptall.com/info-tutori...sh-threads.php

There are charts and conversion calculators on the internet. There are also threads about it on NASIOC. This usually comes up when trying to put an AEM 1/8" NPT sensor directly in the block, you can screw it and get it to seal with thread sealant, but only once. When you pull it out the block threads will be hosed. There are BSPT to NPT adapators available at many dealers.
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 03-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    +1 for British std pipe thread bspt... usually easier and much cheaper to drill out and retap for npt, especially since you have it all open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely BSPT. The brake boost nipple was BSPT. NPT will fit, but the taper is different and it won't seal. That line was for the purge solenoid.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for the heads up on the BSPT. Got a tap and will be giving it some freedom, NPT style!

Took off the coolant crossover pipe and did a little cleanup down there (and replaced the really old and cracked O rings). Just kinda going through and making things a little more robust as they're accessible. Had a broken bolt on the crossover pipe and had to drill/tap it.

Another fix at the track. Bypassed my oil heater using whatever I had lying around, which included some 1/2" copper tubing that I hand bent. That has been there for WAY too long. Gone and replaced with some more robust coolant hose that's routed a bit cleaner.

Here is the before picture of coolant and PCV stuff. Basically was a rats nest of hoses.

Shortened this guy up (using an angle grinder....no mistakes made, not even a little scratch!)

And instead of the old way of right-exiting hose goes left and left-exiting hose goes right, it's a little more direct now. This was the old path to the throttle body warmer, which is long gone. I am actually hoping I can figure out a way to entirely delete this path from both the crossover pipe and the path coming up from the engine on the left. Thoughts? Path in red is the current set up.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some more cleanup of things I'm not super proud of to less ghetto things:

Found THIS. Keyway itself is fine, but damn is that not going back on t

Made this with my amateur welding skills so the wastegate heat can be sent out a little better than before. I also have since cut it flush with the exhaust pipe

Biggest problem: I have a single speed bump separating me (and a mile of road) from the Blue Ridge Parkway that my car will not make it over. I have to figure out a way to make a quick and dirty ghetto ramp that's easily deployable.

My question to y'all:
    It's too loud for around town or Blue Ridge driving. What's the best way to quiet the exhaust down and is easily-ish removable/fixable for track events? anyone have a nice high flow muffler for my 3" pipe?
    Frank - Build thread

21. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We sell baffles that slide into the end of the tailpipe, we stock 2" - 4"
    Baffle 2.JPG
    just drill a couple of holes in the pipe/baffle and 2 #8 bolts and lock nuts and you are set. We see a reduction of 4-6DB on average.

23. Thanks Jetfuel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice dump pipe!

It seems after seeing my garage floor tiles you decided to buy the same in grey? loll But you're missing a lot to complete the entire floor, I guess that money went on the car!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    We sell baffles that slide into the end of the tailpipe, we stock 2" - 4"
    Baffle 2.JPG
    just drill a couple of holes in the pipe/baffle and 2 #8 bolts and lock nuts and you are set. We see a reduction of 4-6DB on average.
    Gave Justin a call; thanks for the heads up! Looking for the bigger baffle set and he said you only carried the 2 baffle (not 3)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Nice dump pipe!

It seems after seeing my garage floor tiles you decided to buy the same in grey? loll But you're missing a lot to complete the entire floor, I guess that money went on the car!
    More like giving them a test run, but yes entirely inspired by your garage, actually! I really like them and will be filling it out more. So comfy to lay on!
    Frank - Build thread

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I use the Vibrant 1142 muffler on my systems
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    We use the Blox muffler with turn down, straight through, great sound, way under on sound requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running a 3X12" Dynomax stainless race muffler 97db @ 50'
    Exhaust with muffler.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Am running the OEM cat only. Mitch say I'm below the sound limits at his track.

Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Well below our 103db limit, Bob if I remember correctly your cars was 94-95db. The cast iron OEM exhaust manifold mellows exhaust note some over a tube header as well.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 04-24-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a whole year. Damn. I am not falling back off the wagon this time!

Bought a house, did a lot to the most important space in it (the garage). It's a beautiful house with a killer view, but the garage really sold it to me. ~2,200 sq ft of basement/garage, almost all of which is 9' ceilings. Super well built house (poured concrete on steel I-beams). Here's some before/after epoxy/paint in the shop portion. Other side of that wall is a garage big enough to fit my truck, a car, a few bikes, and all the yard equipment. The inside "shop" is big enough for the 818, a few bikes, and plenty of room to move around still.

with some toys in it

Then, I started diving back in where I left off. Transmission STILL leaks, so that's at a local transmission shop for evaluation. There is a LOT of jank in this race car right now. Spending as long as it takes to clean it up something proper. First thing's first....I hate that the firewall was attached via rivets. It's such a pain to remove! Since I was gonna pull it for the horrible wiring gore that accumulated under it, might as well take care of that too. Embarassing, but embracing how bad it is is the best way to start fixing it, I think. Wiring gore photo below (warning: it's bad).

what happens all-too-often to removed rivets....such a pain

I'm BACK! And it feels good. Miss y'all
    Frank - Build thread

32. Likes Kiwi Dave, biknman, Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you are back. Congratulations on the house and shop. What a great work space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice place. Looks like it will be plenty warm in there as well

We all love seeing progress and photos. Keep it up

Post Thanks / Like
    Garage is warm in the winter, and (more importantly, in NC) cool in the summer. Pretty excited about how comfy it is so far.

Transmission guy said he found the problem. Doing o ring (not the axle seal) that I'm unaware of (and that's probably why it hasn't been replaced before). Hoping to pick that up tomorrow.

Here's the freaking mess I've made pulling things out. I'm gonna further diet the harness, rearrange things to be easier to service while the car is in-use, and make it way prettier.

Got plenty of cut but not de-pinned wires. Looking for suggestions when this happens while trying to de-pin the wires. Anyone got a nice tool recomendation for me or something?

And of course, I'll weigh the box's contents when I'm done
    Frank - Build thread

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank,

Just for you ......

Getting into connectors is "easy" !

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...923#post366923

I would consider hiding that hammer, you don't need it for wiring work. I keep such tools put away most of the time, temptation would be to correct a problem part by rendering it inert...

Oh, and when you get the connector de-pin down, go back and catch those ones you cut with a hemostat and pull them out too
    Last edited by aquillen; 05-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.

38. Likes Mitch Wright, Pearldrummer7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOAH. This is some AWESOME information. I somehow missed the 2016 post on this despite all my electrical searching. Art-- thanks so much for this! Guess I've got a few tools to buy.

Hammer is (hopefully) not for that!
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, forgot about these and figured people might get a kick out of the "artwork" in the shop. All places I've ridden/driven:

Top row, then bottom row, L->R: CVMP in upstate NY (kart track), NYST, Barber Motorsports Park, Jennings GP, National Corvette Museum, SLMP (upstate NY), Waktins Glen, Road Atlanta, Talledega GP.

Process

Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool and honored that you have NCM on your wall.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those layouts are fun. You'all know about the sinkhole at the NCM not so many years ago that swallowed several cars. I was there about a year before that happened. What a bummer.

Post Thanks / Like
    NCM is a great track, and a killer venue for a track day. Those garages had me drooling (mostly for shade; I went in July I think).

I was working on it downstairs and my girlfriend said "why don't you bring the wiring upstairs? You could do it in the dining room", followed by "...That's a lot of wires. How long is this going to take?"

The cat, however, is a fan of a giant mess of toy in the dining room. He's been helping me stay distracted. I think I can remove a good bit of this, now that I know more (still had things like fuel drain solenoid, fuel temp sensors, windshield washer)

Which reminds me of this throwback of a post where I was wiring in my dining room and was accused (rightfully so) of being single
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post187305
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You were here in July and didn't track me down??? next time.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast