Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: H6-EZ30 engine in the 818----IT FITS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the EZ30 and EZ36 have the same external dimensions - this is because of the offset connecting rod technology they employ, allowing 20% more displacement out of the same block casting. For a totally stock installation that will not see insane RPM levels, the EZ36 might be a great 818 solution for some. However, I don't know that I would try to run the offset connecting rod technology to 8,000RPM.

Frank- the EG33 is not just "a bit bigger" than the EZ30R it is a "lot" bigger. The EZ30R is essentially a flat-6 engine that fits in the same space as Subaru's EJ-series 4 cylinder turbo motors (which power the STi and WRX).

Quote Originally Posted by tirod View Post
    After that will be the Ford Ecoboost V6. The Miata guys are looking into that, about 28" from front to back. 400hp.

Just pouring fuel on the fire. : )

The big selling point for most people looking seriously at using the Subaru flat-6 motors being discussed here is to get that exotic "Porsche" flat-6 sound.

Putting in a garden variety 'merican motor certainly isn't going to cut it for them. Builders just looking for lots of HP and TQ would be far better off sticking with Subaru's EJ25 series turbo motors - they will eat ford's ecocrap for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They're also cheap, easily modified, and have HUGE aftermarket support.
    Last edited by Turboguy; 08-14-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    Yes, the EZ30 and EZ36 have the same external dimensions - this is because of the offset connecting rod technology they employ, allowing 20% more displacement out of the same block casting. For a totally stock installation that will not see insane RPM levels, the EZ36 might be a great 818 solution for some. However, I don't know that I would try to run the offset connecting rod technology to 8,000RPM.
    So one could think there are great chances the EZ36 physically fits the engine bay. Now I don't know the engine enough to tell if the other parts (axles, diff, tranny, hoses, etc.) will fit without too many tweaks or not...

Not sure I'd go with an EZ36, but I like the idea to know the options so I can be happy and proud to make the best choice for my needs. I have to take into account the sound, as this is really important to me. Building a 30-35k kit and having an excellent sound that I'd be happy about but would know I could have had better is one thing. Building a 35-40k kit with a super awesome sound throughout the rpm band and at idle that I'd be crazy about all the time knowing it's amongst the best I can get, that is another thing.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021