Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lighter, race oriented Suspension Parts, Primarily Uprights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on the cantilevered coil overs in my head and on the internet. No kit yet to measure from...
    A chunk of weight would be shed with losing the strut mount and FFR extension bracket. Some weight would be gained with linkage, but I believe the bell crank ratio can allow for smaller stroke, lighter coil overs which can be mounted low and horizontal.
    Im still hopeful that I can find a reasonably priced, ventilated racing spindle to adapt. I reserve the option of designing and casting some. Who has that RP printer?
    Last edited by Scargo; 01-08-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    I am working on the cantilevered coil overs in my head and on the internet. No kit yet to measure from...
    A chunk of weight would be shed with losing the strut mount and FFR extension bracket. Some weight would be gained with linkage, but I believe the bell crank ratio can allow for smaller stroke, lighter coil overs which can be mounted low and horizontal.
    Im still hopeful that I can find a reasonably priced, ventilated racing spindle to adapt. I reserve the option of designing and casting some. Who has that RP printer?
    The strut mount and extension bracket are used to connect the knuckle/hub to the upper control arm - they have nothing to do with the shock. So if you eliminate them, how would you attach the knuckle to the upper control arm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    The strut mount and extension bracket are used to connect the knuckle/hub to the upper control arm - they have nothing to do with the shock. So if you eliminate them, how would you attach the knuckle to the upper control arm?
    As I said, I hope to find a spindle to use where I would only have to lower the upper arm mounting points. If I were to cheap out, I think a stock upright could be modified to accept a ball joint. I had a '64 Chevy Nova SS that had modified spindles for accepting disc brakes. Of course, if I went this route, it would get magnafluxed and stress relieved.