Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brando's Newbie 818R Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lee thanks for all the SB100 details. I planned on purchasing a FFR windshield for street driving. In your supplied link I read that Al felt the windshield wont pass the ref's inspection however i find that hard to believe since to my understanding is that the supplied windshield comes from a MR2 (correct me if i'm wrong). I do plan on purchasing a FFR windshield and if i have to replace the glass so be it. I will find a way to get the wipers working one way or another and will then build back the steering column for blinkers/wipers/lights when its needed. I'm not super concerned about rushing to get this car registered. I'm happy driving my truck around town as its safe and fits my lifestyle. My thought is to race the car for the remainder of 2014 and by next year perhaps register it for 2015. Absolute worst case is I will register the car in Nevada but I highly doubt there will be a need. Thanks for the info keep it coming.

As far as my build is going....progress has been slowed way down. In-laws are staying with us, sleep is sporadic, and this baby is addicting.
    I am still waiting for my gas tank and i am running out of things to do without the missing back ordered items from FFR. I did get an opportunity to build last night so I pulled the motor and made a rear firewall out of 1/8" aluminum and EZ cool insulation. I noticed in other threads people were using rivnuts to mount the firewall but I figured since I was using silicon and had no plans to remove this firewall I would 3/16" rivets. The bottom rail didn't have enough overlap to comfortably install the rivets so i used silicon exclusively. Overall I am pleased with the results and feel much better about protection and heat into the cabin and fuel cell. My headers are ceramic coated on the inside and out so this should compliment my efforts.

Next on the list is to build back the motor and get it ready for Waynes harness which I believe is arriving this week. I'm probably going to purchase a boyd fuel tank since FFR does't have a definitive release date on their "tall guy" tanks that are being produced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Lee thanks for all the SB100 details. I planned on purchasing a FFR windshield for street driving. In your supplied link I read that Al felt the windshield wont pass the ref's inspection however i find that hard to believe since to my understanding is that the supplied windshield comes from a MR2 (correct me if i'm wrong). I do plan on purchasing a FFR windshield and if i have to replace the glass so be it. I will find a way to get the wipers working one way or another and will then build back the steering column for blinkers/wipers/lights when its needed. I'm not super concerned about rushing to get this car registered.
    I think Al was referring to the R's shorty windshield being an issue; he's building an exo car and little lexan or polycarbonate shield isn't acceptable anymore. The S's full DOT laminated glass windshield should be no problem at inspection. Your plan sounds reasonable, if a bit more work in the long run!