Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wire harness sheathing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the braided version better. You can get it in a variety of sizes and temperature/heat resistance. It can purchased as a split type as well which makes adding or removing wires a whole lot easier.

What I did find is that the braided wrap that is heat resistant is solid ... meaning no slit to use to wrap it around the wire. With that version you have to start with a clean end (one without a connector).

The standard braided wire wrap comes in two versions ... one is solid and the other has a slit to allow a wire bundle already connected to be loaded into the wrap. The wrap is "spring loaded" to the shut position so to speak and to a certain extent it expands or contracts depending on the number of wires it is carrying.

While one could insert the wire bundle by hand, they make these cool little tools to make it easier.

With this system one could theoretically retrofit a system that exists on the car as long as you could detach the loom along the path.

I purchased a kit (Painless Performance PowerBraid Wire Wrap 70921) from Summit because I needed more of it to do my own harness for the ISIS installation. I found that you can get heat resistant versions from McMaster-Carr or DelCity.

Carl
    Last edited by carlewms; 08-08-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart