BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The White Lightning 818e thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, exactly. I was fortunate to talk to Paul Carosa about the motors. He was a bit skeptical due to their age, but he did some maintenance and sent me most of the literature. High RPM induction motors are it, the only problems are the gearbox and the high voltage.

Bob, I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two about batteries. What kind of batteries does the lightning bike have? How do they fit a 20kWh on a motorcycle? I'm trying to fit 30kWh into the 818! Any info on the battery front would be awesome. Btw, did the AC Propulsion guys beat you in the 90's?

Also, on the gearbox front, any info would be greatly appreciated. Here's a pic of what I have to hook the gearbox into:

DSC_0282.JPG

Any idea what kind of splined shaft hooks up to this and where I can get it, or how I could hook up a subaru tranny straight to this? Remember, I don't need a clutch or flywheel. I'll probably be using a mastershift paddle shifter, so shifting can be done without a clutch. The trick is to do the shift without power on the motor, and rev match to the new gear's RPMs.

Speedy G
    Last edited by Speedy G; 10-15-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    Bob, I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two about batteries. What kind of batteries does the lightning bike have? How do they fit a 20kWh on a motorcycle? I'm trying to fit 30kWh into the 818! Any info on the battery front would be awesome. Btw, did the AC Propulsion guys beat you in the 90's?

Hi Speedy,
    Lithium-Ion Prismatic Cells. I don't know if we publish the brand name.
    Very Expensive high power batteries. Only 1/4 of a tesla 85kw.

I had 4 cars running my controller and Allen had 3 cars.
    Ohio State (ACP) and BGSU (EMS) were the 2 fastest cars. I remember (selective memory) that winners were about 50/50.
    There was one race I did not attend and we got all three podium spots.
    I need to get that picture for my scrapbook.

Here is a quick story about the Formula Lightning Series.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/wheels/flc.htm
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-15-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread