Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New 818 Configurations Windtunnel Tested

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that Scion is not a series of mistakes...it's a very well-funded, very fast, serious machine. They've just elected to approach thinking about how to reach their goals in a different way than most folks do. I saw it run once and was just amazed at its speed.

On the matter of a the roll-bar, if you try to "wing-it" (yuk-yuk-yuk), then you might run afoul of the tech inspectors. But that's not the proposal Rasmus (and I) are suggesting. I'm going to build a fairing around it so that it extends into the body. This is no different than what you see on a Radical (or Honda del Sol). The objective is to simply clean up the body and stop the turbulence and you don't need an airfoil to do that - just about any simple ovoid shape is going to greatly diminish turbulence.

I did some basic CFD tests a while back on different fairing shapes and was pretty surprised by the difference anything 5:1 and larger makes - just so long as you're not simply hanging a tail on the backside of the tube. SolidWorks is great for this, but you need the Flow Simulation add in...

Best,
    -j
    Last edited by Santiago; 10-19-2015 at 08:18 AM.
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage