Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: MRG MotorSports 818S Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob, that makes sense. I always figured that even if there was more coming from the output pipe bleeder port vs the radiator port, that there would still be enough to allow some bleeding. I agree about the self-bleeding.... very important to have. Since your test showed more pressure from the upper bleeder port vs the radiator port, does that mean you feel you aren't getting any bleeding action from the radiator?

I asked the question because I'm playing around with this stuff too now due to an overheating issue. I have the same setup you do, in terms of bleeders (though I do have my upper bleeder coming from a fitting I welded onto the upper coolant pipe - but in effect it's the same as what you have). I did, however, block off the heater core lines by capping each one with a block-off cap instead of the FFR provided U-pipe. I can't test during driving due to a bad MAF calibration that i'm trying to work through, but while idling for long periods of time, the radiator fans kick on and the coolant temp just keeps climbing. Are you experiencing an issue like this too or are you more just testing to ensure self-bleeding functionality? My right-side coolant pipe to the radiator is very hot so I know the thermostat must be opening and coolant must be flowing to the radiator, and even with the heater core line blocked off, there should be enough coolant cycling through the turbo, the upper pipe bleeder, and back down the return pipe from the degas tank to hit the thermostat and make it open (the turbo coolant hose, the engine bleeder hose, and the rad bleeder hose are all hot to the touch so coolant must be going through them all). The left side coolant pipe is quite cold though. I'd expect it to be at least warm.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 02-21-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    ...... I did, however, block off the heater core lines by capping each one with a block-off cap instead of the FFR provided U-pipe.
    I thought the heater core lines had to be looped or the thermostat wouldn't open? Is the cold side also hot (it should be)?
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Evans waterless coolant. 'nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    does that mean you feel you aren't getting any bleeding action from the radiator?
    Are you experiencing an issue like this too or are you more just testing to ensure self-bleeding functionality?
    Hi Lance,
    Even with the waterless coolant, I still need to get the air locks out of the system.

Hindsight,
    I have a couple thousand miles and 300 autocross runs on my rear radiator set up with no coolant issues. All my problems were air flow related.

I have a heater core instead of the "U" pipe.

My thinking right now.
    I will put the "T" close to the tank so both will bleed into the tank.

I wish I could find some low cost flow indicators to put into the lines.
    Something like this:

Bob
    '
    Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread