Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wallace18"s MK4 Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

What kind of prep work will the body need for paint. Curious to how good the Mk4 bodies are from the factory

Looking sharp
    Mac

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aso544 View Post
    Tom,

What kind of prep work will the body need for paint. Curious to how good the Mk4 bodies are from the factory

Looking sharp
    Mac
    All the FFR bodies need a fair amount of prep. Even the 818 that was thought to be a no paint kit. Most found out that was far from the truth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday my header to side pipe wedges from Breeze Automotive came in. These allowed me to get the side pipes in correct alignment and equal to each other. Nice stuff. I really like the FFR support on the side pipes. Not sure why anyone would delete them. Heat shields from Finish line complete the pipes IMO. Steering rack should be here late tomorrow. Then to Huegenics on the 29th for paint.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/
    http://www.**********accessories.com/

IMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.JPGIMG_0667.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-30-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Running out of stuff to do till parts come in. I did mount my check straps. I use 10-32 screws not rivets. Also mocked up my side aluminum for the door area. Hope to get the steering rack sometime today. Fed Ex is running late.

IMG_0674.JPGIMG_0675.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    ...I really like the FFR support on the side pipes. Not sure why anyone would delete them.
    Me neither BUT consider eliminating one of the bolts attaching the hangers to the pipe tabs. With both clamped tightthe twisting motion as the engine moves often rips the tab from the pipe...I've seen it on both the mild and stainless steel. One bolt snugged, but not tightly clamped, will support the weight but not introduce the fatigue from twisting. Never had one break doing them this way.

I agree on the Breeze wedges. I've used them on a couple of roadsters and like all of Mark's products they work exactly as intended

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Me neither BUT consider eliminating one of the bolts attaching the hangers to the pipe tabs. With both clamped tightthe twisting motion as the engine moves often rips the tab from the pipe...I've seen it on both the mild and stainless steel. One bolt snugged, but not tightly clamped, will support the weight but not introduce the fatigue from twisting. Never had one break doing them this way.

I agree on the Breeze wedges. I've used them on a couple of roadsters and like all of Mark's products they work exactly as intended

Jeff
    Thanks for the tip.