FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  38

Thread: EdwardBs Mk4 #8674 20th Anniversary Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great colors. Curious how much that paint job is costing. I have a similar treatment in mind but with a very dark blue body color, dark metallic gray Le Mans stripes, each of the two stripes edged on either side with a narrow light blue pin stripe. Black roll bars, black painted and wrapped Breeze quietpipes. Then if I feel like messing with it, stone guards on the headlights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesshoults View Post
    Great colors. Curious how much that paint job is costing. I have a similar treatment in mind but with a very dark blue body color, dark metallic gray Le Mans stripes, each of the two stripes edged on either side with a narrow light blue pin stripe. Black roll bars, black painted and wrapped Breeze quietpipes. Then if I feel like messing with it, stone guards on the headlights.
    The price of paint for these is discussed a lot. First, there are a number of variables so be careful when reading comparisons. For many "paint" also includes body and panel fitting, adjusting cutouts, hanging doors, installing latches, installing the windshield, etc. There is money to be saved (maybe...) by doing some of that yourself. But many aren't comfortable with it and some painters prefer you not to. For sure don't put any product on the body itself without talking to your painter first. Some won't touch it if you start applying anything. Like filler, primer, etc. I often tell this story. When I was talking to the guy that painted my first build (different than the last two) I said I wanted to do all the body fitting, panel installation, gaps, etc. so all he had to do was bodywork and paint. He said OK but also wouldn't give me his final price estimate until I delivered it to him. He said he had a number of people who did the same thing and it cost them more for him to fix their work than it would have been for him to do it right the first time. Valid point. I was relieved when I delivered it and he said my work was OK. He said I saved about two days of shop time for him. I felt good about that except that it took me many times longer! Definitely the difference between a rank amateur and pro. Second variable is paint colors and paint materials used. Red metallic like this build is one of the most expensive. Well north of $500 per gallon. High quality fillers, clears, etc. are all pricey. Third variable is prices are just plain different depending on where you live. In most cases, there is 150 hours (or more) of work to be done, and shop rates vary a lot.

Regarding this paint job, I'm not going to cite specifics for several reasons. But suffice it to say this is a very high end shop that only does custom work. It shows, but it doesn't come cheap. I did all the basic body fitting, panel installation, cutouts, gapping, etc. They were happy with it when delivered and didn't have to change much. That saved some. Still, my final cost will be at the higher end of the prices cited in threads about paint cost, but nowhere near as much as some. I would suggest you search some of the threads where this subject is discussed and see more details about the variables, what guys have experienced, and options you might have. In the end, unless you're doing it yourself it's not cheap and for many one of the biggest budget surprises.

The most important advice I would give is whoever paints your car, make sure it's someone with experience painting these. Another thing to watch for is time. There have been multiple instances of paint jobs taking many months or more. In a few cases, much more. I had to wait a couple months for my place in line for this shop, but once delivered, they started work that day and has been pretty much non-stop since. I'm scheduled to pick it up later today. That level of service is important to me, and one of the many reasons I chose them.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-07-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.