Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Real World Leg Room

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of 818's out there, where are you located? Check the 818 registry and see who's close by. I'm 6'1, and I can in no way drive a Miata. I chose to tilt my seat back forcing a more bent knee position in order to fit, however I was more concerned with passing a broomstick test. Others chose a more upright position and moved the butt back quite a bit. I believe the fuel tank that comes with the car now is notched behind the driver to allow more legroom. Some even had a tank made to fit in the front of the car. Lots of options, but I'm not sure a tall guy will ever be comfortable for a long ride in an 818. Also consider that getting in and out of such a low car will be hard on the knees.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Lots of 818's out there, where are you located? Check the 818 registry and see who's close by. I'm 6'1, and I can in no way drive a Miata. I chose to tilt my seat back forcing a more bent knee position in order to fit, however I was more concerned with passing a broomstick test. Others chose a more upright position and moved the butt back quite a bit. I believe the fuel tank that comes with the car now is notched behind the driver to allow more legroom. Some even had a tank made to fit in the front of the car. Lots of options, but I'm not sure a tall guy will ever be comfortable for a long ride in an 818. Also consider that getting in and out of such a low car will be hard on the knees.
    Not so sure what the broomstick test is, can you enlighten me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wageslave View Post
    Not so sure what the broomstick test is, can you enlighten me?
    Take a broomstick from the rear roll bar to the front of the car. If your head is below the broomstick, you've passed! If it isn't you might meet your ultimate demise if unfortunate circumstances were ever to occur...
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn818c View Post
    Take a broomstick from the rear roll bar to the front of the car. If your head is below the broomstick, you've passed! If it isn't you might meet your ultimate demise if unfortunate circumstances were ever to occur...
    Yeah what he said. If it's a street only car then it's not a concern, if you plan to track it then you'll need to pass. Others have just replaced the roll bar with a taller one to maximize both leg room and pass the test.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn818c View Post
    That's from the roll bar to the front of the car frame, not the body panel, correct?
    Safety is my first concern on my current project and will be so on the 818. Seat belts and shoulder harnesses go without saying. Tight fuel and electrical systems and good brakes.