Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom Headers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is nice work. How will you keep the slip fits from leaking?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the compliments, it's always nice when a plan really works and you get to learn something along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
    Very nicely done. I'm contemplating making my headers as well
    I was extremely tentative to start this and wasn't sure I made the right decision. But all you need are relatively basic tools and a boat load of patience, so I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. My main tools have been a regular chop saw with a thin kerf abrasive wheel(3/32"), a die grinder with sanding drum to clean up the internal slag from cutting(a dremel would work just as good...), and a disc sander for the outside slag. Having a cold saw and other tools would be nice but I found not necessary at all. If you enjoy fabrication like I do, it's a very enlightening and educational project. I'll have less than $150 in supplies to complete BOTH headers, so it's a pretty good cost to effort ratio as well. Heck I blew more than that on a few other options that I'm now regretting....

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    That is nice work. How will you keep the slip fits from leaking?
    Craig, there actually aren't any slip joints on the headers. If you're talking about near the sidepipe flange, that's where I had a muffler shop take my 1-7/8" tube and stretch it with a hydraulic stretcher to get out to the 2" diameter of the flange. The stretched tubes are then welded both internally and externally to the flange.

-TJ