Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Srobinsonx2 Bodywork

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Brother , In 600+ cars I have never turned my gun upside down....bend your wrist, figure it out. You have come a very long way and you are doing good,,,,wish I had kept closer tabs. Correct me if I'm wrong but were you spraying your slick sand in a single coat then blocking ? Ok, I know you're past that part but iffin you were.....spray your urethane in three continuous coats with 8-10 mins flash between. You should be able to 3 coat everything with one gallon. It goes on thinner, smoother and faster then SS....and don't put prepsol on anything from here on out. When I shoot my hood jambs I turn my fan off and shoot the opposite side of the hood opening. Climbing is all good till you catch your toe on the door jamb and go arse over elbow t the ground......and don't climb through the wheel well , you need to stay as clean as possible when you paint, so now is a good time to practice the "art of the fan reduction cross opening Bat spray technique". Happy Fourth Brother ! da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Brother , In 600+ cars I have never turned my gun upside down....bend your wrist, figure it out. You have come a very long way and you are doing good,,,,wish I had kept closer tabs. Correct me if I'm wrong but were you spraying your slick sand in a single coat then blocking ? Ok, I know you're past that part but iffin you were.....spray your urethane in three continuous coats with 8-10 mins flash between. You should be able to 3 coat everything with one gallon. It goes on thinner, smoother and faster then SS....and don't put prepsol on anything from here on out. When I shoot my hood jambs I turn my fan off and shoot the opposite side of the hood opening. Climbing is all good till you catch your toe on the door jamb and go arse over elbow t the ground......and don't climb through the wheel well , you need to stay as clean as possible when you paint, so now is a good time to practice the "art of the fan reduction cross opening Bat spray technique". Happy Fourth Brother ! da Bat
    Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate the input and expert advice. When I say spraying upside down, I actually mean at an angle like the wheel wells or under the rolled edge of the cockpit. How do you spray those without the material running to the other end of the cup?

To answer the slick sand question, I sprayed 3 coats each time. Like you said, I sprayed one coat, waited 10 minutes, then sprayed another coat. I put on a gallon in the first session then blocked with 180 grit. The second round of put on about a gallon and a half. Then blocked it with 220. That is where I am now. Does that sound about right?

I am not using prepsol but I am using a wax and grease remover which I think is essentially the same thing. Maybe I messed up but I have been using it pretty generously to "wet check" for straightness and to clean prior to apply filler, glazing putty, and slick sand. Today I wiped the whole thing down again with this product. Is there something else I should be using to clean prior to 2K and paint? Would acetone work better? It certainly would be a cleaner product and is more aggressive. Here is a picture of what I am using. I got it from the supply house where I am buying my products.

When you say fan reduction, I assume you mean instead of a big fan, you reduce the spray down to a circle pattern. That is a pretty nifty idea. I was worried about getting inside the car. You can actually reach across the entire hood opening that way? I will try that.

Thanks a bunch J.Miller. I know you don't have to help us amateurs but your insights and expertise is greatly appreciated. Happy 4th to you too.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017