Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Poor GTM body quality control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They shouldn't make sections and then glass them together, it should be made as ONE PIECE in a multi-piece mold that is bolted together. Hopefully the next car body they make will be cut out by a muliti-axis machine and a proper set of molds will be created. As far as the asymmetry in the doors, I have a set of Gen I and Gen II doors and neither set match from side to side. Not even close. Just like all the other parts of the body. Care was not taken when shaping this body (or measurements either) It's time to fix it or stop making it and move on with better technology. To me, it would be worth the effort to make a refined Gen III GTM body. It's a fantastic performer, you already have the frame jigs, and I think it would sell better than ever if they'd just fix the body. (I've talked to so many people that would have bought this kit if the body issues weren't there) I disagree with Crash also (not the first time) that it's run it's course. Donor vettes are everywhere, cheap. You can get the 996 Carrera 2 transaxles at great prices and they're strong enough in this light of a car. It's never been easier or cheaper to put a transaxle in one of these. If the body issues were corrected, the kit would still have a lot of life left IMHO.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 03-10-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    They shouldn't make sections and then glass them together, it should be made as ONE PIECE in a multi-piece mold that is bolted together.
    I'm 99.9% sure that's how FFR does it
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car