BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flimsy vs. Solid Doors...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another first-timer who did his own bodywork. I followed Scott's bodywork thread, along with a couple others, and got tons of help from the knowledgeable guys here on the forum. I did fill my doors, but used a high-line version of low expansion foam for use around windows and doors - made by Hilti. I also used some 1/8" rubber sheet to fill the opening near the door latch, so that the doors have a real finished look to them. The foam filling, combined with the door panels, weatherstripping, and lots of attention to hinge and latch adjustment resulted in very solid, production-car sounding doors.

Here's a link to my bodywork thread. Door fitting starts at post 39 with the pre-fit. Post 61 shows the multiple hoies I used for the foam - just a little foam through each hole. Posts 85 - 97 show the rest of the door fitting process, with #96 giving a real good idea of how I did the door-to-body transitions.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...is%27+bodywork

Here's a pic of the car that shows a good reflection on the doors - no issue with bulging on these.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Another first-timer who did his own bodywork. I followed Scott's bodywork thread, along with a couple others, and got tons of help from the knowledgeable guys here on the forum. I did fill my doors, but used a high-line version of low expansion foam for use around windows and doors - made by Hilti. I also used some 1/8" rubber sheet to fill the opening near the door latch, so that the doors have a real finished look to them. The foam filling, combined with the door panels, weatherstripping, and lots of attention to hinge and latch adjustment resulted in very solid, production-car sounding doors.

Here's a link to my bodywork thread. Door fitting starts at post 39 with the pre-fit. Post 61 shows the multiple hoies I used for the foam - just a little foam through each hole. Posts 85 - 97 show the rest of the door fitting process, with #96 giving a real good idea of how I did the door-to-body transitions.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...is%27+bodywork

Here's a pic of the car that shows a good reflection on the doors - no issue with bulging on these.

Excellent! Thanks Chris!