Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Hindsight's build thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob!

I'm really unsure. I don't have a garage anymore and as a result, sold all my big tools like cherry picker, air compressor, shop press, drill press, etc. So whatever I get is going to have to live in a car-port and be more of a bolt-on type project vs a kit or anything requiring much fabrication. It will need to be a hard-top or convertible and not a roadster. I want something mostly for street, but that I can also take to track days, though I'm not as focused on being the fastest car at the track day as I once was.

Some cars on my short list are a Porsche 997.2, an FD RX-7, a second or third-gen CTS-V, an older SL65 AMG, and MAYBE an old R8 but I don't know if I'd want to risk tracking that. Of all these, the 997 is what I'm leaning toward.

2. Thanks walt555 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Some cars on my short list are a Porsche 997.2, an FD RX-7, a second or third-gen CTS-V, an older SL65 AMG, and MAYBE an old R8 but I don't know if I'd want to risk tracking that. Of all these, the 997 is what I'm leaning toward.
    How about the new '20 mid-engine Vette? Super cheap on the 1st year.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

4. Likes Wayne Presley liked this post
    Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    How about the new '20 mid-engine Vette? Super cheap on the 1st year.
    I really like them. I haven't heard anything saying their MSRP will go up in subsequent years. What I read is that they are building the car on a global platform with high production numbers in order to keep the cost down. The problem there is that it means they may not retain their value too well. The cars that retain value well tend to be more exclusive. Some examples include the FD RX-7, Mk4 Supra, Lotus Elise, Porsche 911, Alfa Romeo 4C, etc. I'm also not a big fan of buying first model-year since there are often kinks that need to be worked out and I've heard Chevrolet had a LOT of electrical gremlins on their test cars.

I'm still thinking but keep leaning toward a 997. I strongly considered the 4C but I really want to have a manual in my fun car, and the 997 can be had for around the same price as the 4C and I feel the 911 is a lot more car for the money.