FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  91

Thread: VAHokie's Roadster Build Thread - Body Fitment Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tony, I hate to tell you this but I had no luck with the seal all when I installed my tank. It started leaking within a month or so. When I took the pickup & fuel pump hanger out to see what was going on, it appears the seal all becomes rigid over time, which leads to cracks, which leads to leaks.

I replaced the two gaskets & used the Ford-recommended lubricant - motor oil - when putting everything together. Note that there are two types of gaskets: one has a circular cross section & the other has a square cross section. Either one works just fine.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    I had similar issues with the finish on the gas tank cracking as I bent the flange. I am also not concerned about the pitch of your bolts as mine did the same. The biggest challenge was getting a socket to lineup with the head of the bolt at the angle shown
    Thanks for confirming and putting my mind at ease. I didn't even try a socket and just ended up using a 8mm hex key.

Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Good to see you back at it Tony. Another thing to keep an eye on is the rubber gasket on the filler tube and tank. I read another post during the summer about it and checked mine and it was nearly cut half way thru. I ordered a Ford replacement
    Thanks for the heads-up, Jerry. Curious what caused that. I've read other comments about the edges of the tank openings being very sharp and needing to be addressed, but mine were actually quite smooth and profiled.

Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Hey Tony, I hate to tell you this but I had no luck with the seal all when I installed my tank. It started leaking within a month or so. When I took the pickup & fuel pump hanger out to see what was going on, it appears the seal all becomes rigid over time, which leads to cracks, which leads to leaks.

I replaced the two gaskets & used the Ford-recommended lubricant - motor oil - when putting everything together. Note that there are two types of gaskets: one has a circular cross section & the other has a square cross section. Either one works just fine.
    Thanks, John. Appreciate the heads-up and certainly easier to make that swap now. Do you have a part # handy?
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew you were gonna ask me that, and unfortunately I don't. The good news is that F5 provides an OEM Ford Mustang tank, so any Napa, Advance, or Autozone can easily get one for you.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

4. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post