Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  78

Thread: Andy LV Hot Rod Build # 1196

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Headers

I bought the Summit brand shorty stainless steel headers and some stainless steel 12 point bolts.
    I took an old 3/8 combination end wrench and ground down the boxend of the wrench becuase I knew it would be a tight fit to fit the wrench in between the header pipes and the bolt heads.
    I'm a little disappointed in the Summit headers, in 4 spots even with the wrench ground down I still couldn't get the wrench to fit with the bolts turned in as far as I coudl with my fingers.
    I had to pull the headers back off the engine, heat the 4 pipes up red hot, then bang the pipes in a little near the header flange to have enough clearance to slide the wrench between the pipe and the bolt head.
    Since the heads are aluminum I used anit-seize on the bolts and star lock washers. I was careful not to over torque the bolts in the aluminmum heads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    33 Hot Rod with Deluxe Grill (32) Hood & sides, Bike Fenders, Hard Top, AC, Power Windows, Electric Power Steering, 306 Ford Small Block - roller cam, aluminum heads, Eldenbrock intake & carb, T5, Moser 3 link, Arrived 5/6/20.

2. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mufflers

I roughed in the mufflers to drill the holes for the mouning brackets prior to installing the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    33 Hot Rod with Deluxe Grill (32) Hood & sides, Bike Fenders, Hard Top, AC, Power Windows, Electric Power Steering, 306 Ford Small Block - roller cam, aluminum heads, Eldenbrock intake & carb, T5, Moser 3 link, Arrived 5/6/20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by e36m3 View Post
    I bought the Summit brand shorty stainless steel headers and some stainless steel 12 point bolts.
    I took an old 3/8 combination end wrench and ground down the boxend of the wrench becuase I knew it would be a tight fit to fit the wrench in between the header pipes and the bolt heads.
    I'm a little disappointed in the Summit headers, in 4 spots even with the wrench ground down I still couldn't get the wrench to fit with the bolts turned in as far as I coudl with my fingers.
    I had to pull the headers back off the engine, heat the 4 pipes up red hot, then bang the pipes in a little near the header flange to have enough clearance to slide the wrench between the pipe and the bolt head.
    Since the heads are aluminum I used anit-seize on the bolts and star lock washers. I was careful not to over torque the bolts in the aluminmum heads.
    Curious of Allen bolts would have worked in this? Better access....