Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: richtersand's build #9909 - Engine In!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you on liking to see any damage to parts. But as long as that tank doesn't leak, there's really no reason not to use it. That corner is essentially not visible on the completed build. It's tucked in behind the body and rear splash guards. And only a minimal to nonexistent reduction in capacity.

One other point since it's in the picture -- don't forget you have to flatten those bent flanges on around the edge of the tank. Otherwise it won't sit properly in the frame mounts. It's in the manual, but some miss it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'm with you on liking to see any damage to parts. But as long as that tank doesn't leak, there's really no reason not to use it. That corner is essentially not visible on the completed build. It's tucked in behind the body and rear splash guards. And only a minimal to nonexistent reduction in capacity.

One other point since it's in the picture -- don't forget you have to flatten those bent flanges on around the edge of the tank. Otherwise it won't sit properly in the frame mounts. It's in the manual, but some miss it.
    Thanks for the pointer on bending the flanges. Agree it doesn’t seem to be a functional issue. I did also notice a big bend in one of the corner flanges. Would rather have an unbent tank that doesn’t leave me wondering. The good news is Dave B from FFR said they’re going to swap it out for me. I am 10/10 impressed with FFR and their customer service!

Got second round of powder coat back! They charge $8/sq ft for so the little pieces end up costing a couple bucks each. I may have gone a little overboard. Hoping to get the ebrake done this weekend. Running hard lines next week.

Matt

FFR Complete Kit, Coyote, Tremec TKX, 3.73 IRS, power steering, 18" Halibrands, Wilwood brakes, Gas-N pipes + header, Viking blue color
    Roadster Build Time Tracker