I was at San Luis Obispo dmv 2/2/21 for my GTM SB100 registration. Took an hour. They gave me two permits, one to go to CHP for vin issuance and one to go to BAR for smog. No permit for brakes/lights check (?). They did not give a sequence number and said that they would not do that until CHP issued a vin #. Due to Covid the CHP in my area wouldn't give me an appointment to inspect and issue a vin until today.
After an hour or so the vin # was assigned. They used the serial # that appears on the FFR tag/manufacturers certificate of origin.

BAR was then contacted to make an appointment for smog. They said I had to go back to dmv and get the sequence number now that I had a serial number assigned.
So, a couple of variances from what others have experienced but all in all not too bad.

For the initial dmv appointment have all of your documents ready and be prepared to show what you have and have not paid for sales tax. You will pay it at that time (FFR didn't charge sales tax so I had to pay the tax on the kit at the time of the initial appointment.