Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  96

Thread: The Bolton Build - 818C

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrashrob View Post
    Looks great! Curious on the hood louvers. Are they from ZDB? Didn't see any mention in your thread, but may have missed it.
    You didn't miss anything since I didn't talk about the hood louvers yet.

I thought louvers would look really nice on the hood in place of the stock perforated sheet metal. I wanted them a little thicker than just stamped or cut sheet aluminum. I also wanted them to be the same size as the recess in the hood. The fins are 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum and the end plates are 1/4" thick. I CNC machined slots in the end pieces to take the fins. They are a tight fit in the side plate where they meet at a right angle, and a loose fit in the other side plate. Since they go in on an angle on the one side I made the slots loose and used JB Weld to hold them in place on the "loose" side.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.47.24 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.29.47 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 6.00.48 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.47.57 AM.jpg

JB Weld (the original one, not the quick one) takes powder coating temperature just fine and it actually takes the powder as well; must be the metal in it.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.03.31 PM.jpg

There are small threaded holes in the bottom of the end plates to attach them to the hood. Really pleased with how they turned out.

Rick

2. Likes Rob T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRWRX View Post
    You didn't miss anything since I didn't talk about the hood louvers yet.

I thought louvers would look really nice on the hood in place of the stock perforated sheet metal. I wanted them a little thicker than just stamped or cut sheet aluminum. I also wanted them to be the same size as the recess in the hood. The fins are 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum and the end plates are 1/4" thick. I CNC machined slots in the end pieces to take the fins. They are a tight fit in the side plate where they meet at a right angle, and a loose fit in the other side plate. Since they go in on an angle on the one side I made the slots loose and used JB Weld to hold them in place on the "loose" side.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.47.24 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.29.47 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 6.00.48 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.47.57 AM.jpg

JB Weld (the original one, not the quick one) takes powder coating temperature just fine and it actually takes the powder as well; must be the metal in it.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.03.31 PM.jpg

There are small threaded holes in the bottom of the end plates to attach them to the hood. Really pleased with how they turned out.

Rick
    Wow! Very nice...