Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Steering Linkage Failure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On our race car, we use splined shafts and Ujoints. But instead of using set screws, we drill a 1/4" hole all the way through the Ujoint and shaft. Then we run a 1/4" grade 8 bolt all the way through with lock nuts. It's not going anywhere.
    "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have."

FFR #7430 - MK4 Roadster - 302 w/ T5 Five speed - 17" FFR wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickity-Split View Post
    On our race car, we use splined shafts and Ujoints. But instead of using set screws, we drill a 1/4" hole all the way through the Ujoint and shaft. Then we run a 1/4" grade 8 bolt all the way through with lock nuts. It's not going anywhere.
    Actually, the Burgeson telescopic shaft requires a hardened bolt though the 1” DD end. My issue was when you added the larger diameter shaft to the assembly, that extra 1/4 inch threw the firewall steering joint into an angle greater than 35 degrees which instantly cause a bind in the joint. I am looking to do exactly what you are describing on the rack input shaft. Problem is I just move everything to the next steering joint up the line. What is the diameter of the splined shafts you use?