Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: insurance (pretty much) not available for non-replica kit cars in Ontario

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Nova Scotia. Facility insurance is my only option for my FFR Roadster. Total cost for a year is about $1200 but I take off liability and collision in winter, so it works out to about $700 per year. They will insure to a specific value, so it is not all bad. Facility insurance is the insurer of last resort, generally for drunk drivers and young drivers with lots of accidents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
    I am in Nova Scotia. Facility insurance is my only option for my FFR Roadster. Total cost for a year is about $1200 but I take off liability and collision in winter, so it works out to about $700 per year.
    How did you go about getting the facility insurance? My regular insurance company told me they have no connection with the facility insurance group and can't help me at all with it. This was for Ontario. He did say that he thought maybe in other provinces the company did work with facility when required.

If I could get a rate even close to that I would be thrilled. I talked with Hagerty about their policy of a kit car having to be a replica of a classic car. The reason is that Hagerty is not an insurance company, more like a broker, so they don't set the rules. Once there is enough demand for a particular kit car they look into it. He said the 818 looked like a very cool car, but sorry, we can't help with that.

Finally got a response from a broker that deals with the facility market. The quote was ridiculously high. I asked about lowering the car value, increasing deductible, things like that to see if it will bring it down. I'll give more details when I hear back.

Rick
    Last edited by FFRWRX; 08-12-2023 at 12:07 PM.