BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  41

Thread: Terry's LS MK4 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your steering arms (that bolt onto the spindles) appear to be backwards.

They should be pointing slightly outward instead of slightly inward.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Your steering arms (that bolt onto the spindles) appear to be backwards.

They should be pointing slightly outward instead of slightly inward.
    Good catch, you're probably right. I literally threw those on loosely before ending for the [extremely hot] day. Appreciate the heads-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    I literally threw those on loosely before ending for the [extremely hot] day. Appreciate the heads-up.
    Roger that "hot day" business. I'm about 40mi NE of you as the crow flies.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like

Hubs installed

I installed the hubs this weekend, but ran into a snag (pun intended) with the FFR-supplied Mevotech units. As others have noted, these often don't just slide on like they should (do not force them!). During my initial fitting, I hit resistance at about an 1/8" of engagement on the spindle. I gently removed the hub and part of it decided to stay. I ended up with this:

I never really liked the quality of the Mevotechs based on what I saw and felt, but I know they've worked well for many. Despite that, I pulled the emory cloth from my plumbing tool box and polished the spindle. The second hub went on further, but again I gently pulled it when I hit the least amount of resistance. Same result as above. Ugh. Now I know these are largely held together by the preload of the axle nut and maybe I could have just popped them back together, but this did not give me confidence. Screw it, gonna buy new ones. The local NAPA store was having their monthly 30%-off sale, so I picked up a set of their premium hubs manufactured by SKF (good!). Still made in China, but what isn't these days.

These units are clearly much higher quality... tighter, no grease oozing out the seals, etc. I'm not sure if the studs are black for cosmetic reasons or if they're a higher grade steel. Doesn't really matter, as I was happy with the purchase. I will say though, regardless of the hubs you use, be sure to clearance the spindles with emory cloth or equivalent. It doesn't take much, but it makes a huge difference.

I realized I didn't removed the ABS tone rings until after I torqued the axle nut (of course), so a few quick passes of the dremel and they popped right off.

5. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Steering Rack

I got the P/S rack installed. The [URL="https://breezeautomotive.com/shop/offset-rack-mounting-kit-for-ffr-roadster-and-coupe/"]Breeze mounting kit/URL] is awesome and makes centering the rack a simple process. There's not much to installing the rack other than figuring out how to fit it in. I also used Moog tie-rod ends.