BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Cobra/Coupe vs Elise/Exige drive experience?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional View Post
    Fully expect building Coupe/Roadster will be an undertaking. I'm anticipating this stretching somewhere from the 1.5yr to 2 year timeframe easily, likely more depending on what I may or may not farm out. The only aspect of this build that intimidates me is engine electrical. Been researching both a Coyote build and just a 351w/427 build but I've never been involved with engine electrical beyond extremely basic stuff. Granted neither of these paths are new so there is tons of information and people to pull knowledge from just here let alone other resources. Truthfully the build is half if not more of the reason I'm even considering a Coupe/Roadster.

The A/C in the Lotus is a bummer. Going to have to see if that can be improved and if so what it takes to get it to cool better. If it cant be improved that pretty much knocks it down to the Roadster level and will only be used with no top/windows in the summer. This doesn't exclude it completely yet but that is a bummer to hear. I'm not as far south as Memphis but I'm just about level with Murfreesboro out here in eastern NC by Raleigh. Either way I'd consider it comparable to what you likely felt.

I've at this point combed through Paul's Coupe build 3 times now and working on my 2nd run through of his 20th anniversary build. There are a lot of nice builds on here but his documentation detail is incredible. It amazes me that he completes his builds in the time he does and is still able to photograph and write up what he does.

It's really going to come down to which "dream" I want to have. I was hoping I'd have some experienced people say something that would steer me hard between Lotus and Build but I havent seen that quite yet. Aside from the looks the Lotus is appealing because it seems I could have both a Coupe (top on, windows, enclosed, etc.) and a Roadster (top off, windows down) experience in one vehicle.
    You should check out the forums on Lotustalk.com. Lots of info and experiences with all kinds of Lotus (plural for Lotus). I learned a lot on that forum. I'm not trying to talk you out of the Elise. It has many ardent fans. It's just a very specific kind of car. Full disclosure, I inherited mine from my father. So I wasn't especially looking for an Elise. I am a big Lotus history fan, especially 1960's, Jim Clark era Formula 1 (Lotus 49 with a Ford Cosworth DFV engine). So I was inclined to like it. It was Ardent Red with black wheels. It needed quite a bit of work, which I like to do. I was very excited about it when I received it. Once I had completed the repairs, I found that working on it was way more fun than owning it. My kids (middle schoolers at the time) were embarrassed to be seen in it. My wife thought it was ridiculous. So no one would drive with me. Coupled with the fact that it was hard to even get out of my driveway without scraping the front lip, it soon became more of a bother than an enjoyment. You also have to be an acrobat to get in and out of it. I'm only 5'6", but found it challenging. As I mentioned, it was very delicate. Many things would break in my hands. Parts were easy enough to get, it just started to make me nervous. I hated parking it in any kind of public space for fear that someone would bump it and crack the body. The one thing the Elise is really good for is going on a fun drive. If you buy it with the goal of setting aside pure driving time, canyon carving, curvy roads, highway, etc. you will love it. If you want a daily driver, date car, commute car, you may be disappointed. Funny enough, no one knew what it was. "Is that a Ferrari?" was what I was asked many times at gas stations.

I had different goals for the Coupe. I really wanted to build a car. I really love the history of Shelby and the Daytona Coupe in particular. I really like Ford engines. My sons helped me build it, so they are fully into it now. My wife thinks it's really cool that I built it and is proud to be seen in it. She's kind of down on the exhaust smell, but that is a common wife complaint on this forum. The construction of the coupe is rock solid. The body is fiberglass, but very sturdy. Not nearly as mickey mouse as the Elise. Most people know what it is. I get lots of comments on it. It's also really fun to drive. I can see using it for date nights, weekends away, going on drives, etc. It is really loud, so it is hard to keep a low profile. You are basically announcing your arrival wherever you go. So going to work? Maybe not for me. I have to maintain some veneer of professionalism.

I think both of these are cars for play more than for regular use. I drive a '22 Mustang GT as my daily. Good luck with your decision. If you end up with a Factory Five, you will find lots of friendly help here.
    Last edited by drewr; 11-09-2023 at 12:45 PM.

2. Thanks Functional thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post