Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Mark 1 Upper Control Arm Upgrade ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorB View Post
    20240209_161323.jpg

Here's a pic (I can't believe I figured it out). Hopefully, this will help. As you can see, there's just some slots going "crossways" (which I'm thinking would change camber) but I can't see how I could change caster.
    So if I have a Mark 1 (I DO know it's titled as a 2002) what, including changing control arms, should I do here?
    I'd purchase new upper control arms from SPC. They will have adjustable sleeves. Then, I'd weld a washer on top and bottom of that slot, putting the bolt off center toward the outer edge, but not all the way. That will keep it in place and not move. Then you just use the SPC arms to do camber/caster adjustment. How do I know this, I did it on my MKI and it works fine, even with PS.

I can take take some pics of mine later today if needed. I've had mine like this for over 20yrs and do open track driving as well. No issues.

Those original arms had a habit of moving as well as breaking. There was a time when a "widget" was made and I have buddies who still have them. You can set camber/caster with that setup, but it's a PITA and to me, unsafe. jmo
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

2. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Likes Geoff H, ProfessorB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    ... There was a time when a "widget" was made and I have buddies who still have them...
    Ah yes Glen, the famous "Lisman widgets"---Not a lot of us around here who go back that far

Here's a pic (I can't believe I figured it out). Hopefully, this will help. As you can see, there's just some slots going "crossways" (which I'm thinking would change camber) but I can't see how I could change caster.
    So if I have a Mark 1 (I DO know it's titled as a 2002) what, including changing control arms, should I do here?
    Professor,
    Ween just made the same recommendation that I would have regarding the best way to go about converting to the adjustable SPC adjustable uppers. FYI, with the slots you can indeed adjust both caster and camber---for example the crossbar is moved farther inboard on the rear slot than the front slot to increase positive caster and so forth. As he said, it's a pain! Since up till now we thought you were dealing with a Mk3 rather than a Mk1 many of our suggestions involved going to a more aggressive positive caster setting however I don't think that there is sufficient range with the slots to achieve that anyway.

Jeff

4. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Likes ProfessorB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Ah yes Glen, the famous "Lisman widgets"---Not a lot of us around here who go back that far
    Jeff
    Yep, that's why some of us are still here. To help those who don't know anything more than the last 15yrs of how they were built.

8669.jpeg

I'm in contact with the Professor and getting him setup. These are the first edition ones, the second edition were customized to fit in the slot. Now, everybody knows.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

6. Likes JohnnyB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that's why some of us are still here. To help those who don't know anything more than the last 15yrs of how they were built.

8669.jpeg

I'm in contact with the Professor and getting him setup. These are the first edition ones, the second edition were customized to fit in the slot. Now, everybody knows.
    Yep, that's them!

Sometimes we have to take a ride on the Wayback Machine! You know, I kind of miss those early days when we had to think for ourselves and build rather than assemble

Jeff

8. Likes JohnnyB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE:
    So I've taken everybody's suggestions here and decided to upgrade upper control arms , rack and pinion, etc Since I learned on here that I have a Mark 1 and not a Mark III (OUCH!) I am thinking of starting a NEW thread (called Mark 1 upgrade) instead of the "Mark 3" title on this thread. I tried to edit the title but could not. So, I'm looking for opinions on whether to re-boot and start a NEW thread.
    For the record, I'm a shade tree mechanic at best...and a "newbie". My idea is to maybe, in some way, to this forum. It might only help other newbies, but it might be a contribution. Should I start a new thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd purchase new upper control arms from SPC. They will have adjustable sleeves. Then, I'd weld a washer on top and bottom of that slot, putting the bolt off center toward the outer edge, but not all the way. That will keep it in place and not move. Then you just use the SPC arms to do camber/caster adjustment. How do I know this, I did it on my MKI and it works fine, even with PS.

I can take take some pics of mine later today if needed. I've had mine like this for over 20yrs and do open track driving as well. No issues.

Those original arms had a habit of moving as well as breaking. There was a time when a "widget" was made and I have buddies who still have them. You can set camber/caster with that setup, but it's a PITA and to me, unsafe. jmo
    ....I'm feeling pretty stupid (thinking I had a Mrk III) but also feeling pretty grateful for learning the "truth" and for all the help. So.....got to ask: Who is "SPC"? I'm just resolved to do whatever it is that I need to do in order to fix the issue as best I can. I already had thought changing upper control arms was called for....now I need to know who "SPC" is (as well as anybody else where I might source new upper control arms. And again, I appreciate all the help and guidance. (see below)
    Also, are y'all sure I have a Mrk I....and not a Mrk II ?
    Update: I googled SPC so I know who SPC is now. Is there a certain uca I should use?
    Last edited by ProfessorB; 02-10-2024 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....Also, are y'all sure I have a Mrk I....and not a Mrk II ?
    Positive. Mk2 used the adjustable control arms and they mounted in either of two sets of holes where your slots are located. Call SPC and tell them you're needing arms for a Factory Five roadster and they'll be able to set you up.

Jeff

12. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Likes ProfessorB liked this post