Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Jespinosaesq's MKIV "Godzilla" Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a while since I posted anything, but I might as well update everyone on some of the previous work that has been done. This work was done a few months back, but I figure it would be good to post it. My kit came with the Wilwood brakes for the front, so I put together the front rotors as per Willwood's instructions:

Brake Rotor 2.jpg
    Brake Rotor.jpg

I finished installing the rotor and brakes on both sides.

Brakes Installed D.jpg

Brakes Installed P.jpg

And finished most of the front suspension installation. Now would have been a good time to check if the steering rods fit in the arms but unfortunately, I did not check this and I had to take this all apart in the future.
    Front Suspension Installed D.jpg

Front Suspension Installed P.jpg

The last pics is of the differential that came with my kit. I took a picture to figure out the gearing. From the looks of it the gearing is 3.55 but the kit was order with 3.73 speedo gear which had me questioning it. The kit must have been ordered with the 3.73 gear in mind and the Seller changed their mind when they purchased the differential in the future?? Who knows....the endless mysteries and fun of buying a kit of someone else.
    Rear Diff.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jespinosa View Post
    The last pics is of the differential that came with my kit. I took a picture to figure out the gearing. From the looks of it the gearing is 3.55 but the kit was order with 3.73 speedo gear which had me questioning it. The kit must have been ordered with the 3.73 gear in mind and the Seller changed their mind when they purchased the differential in the future?? Who knows....the endless mysteries and fun of buying a kit of someone else.
    Rear Diff.jpg
    Yes, that's a 3.55 diff. Factory Five has only ever sold 3.55 diffs. They sell the NIB M-4001-88355B from Ford Performance. That's the only version Ford Performance currently sells. In 2017, when I build my Coupe, Ford Performance was still selling a 3.73 Torsen (M-4001-88373T) but they discontinued it. I was able to get one of the last ones. Even when it was available, I never saw that version offered by Factory Five. So I question whether there was an order for a 3.73 from Factory Five.

Having said that, the picture posted appears to be a used one. Nothing wrong with that. Lots got that way.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-23-2024 at 03:55 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Yes, that's a 3.55 diff. Factory Five has only ever sold 3.55 diffs. They sell the NIB M-4001-88355B from Ford Performance. That's the only version Ford Performance currently sells. In 2017, when I build my Coupe, Ford Performance was still selling a 3.73 Torsen (M-4001-88373T) but they discontinued it. I was able to get one of the last ones. Even when it was available, I never saw that version offered by Factory Five. So I question whether there was an order for a 3.73 from Factory Five.

Having said that, the picture posted appears to be a used one. Nothing wrong with that. Lots got that way.
    The diff was not purchased from Factory 5 as it wasn't included in the original PO.

What confused me was the inclusion of the 3.73 gear in the PO, which if I recall doesn't get used since I have GPS gauges??

Thanks for the clarification on the gearing Edward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jespinosa View Post
    The diff was not purchased from Factory 5 as it wasn't included in the original PO.

What confused me was the inclusion of the 3.73 gear in the PO, which if I recall doesn't get used since I have GPS gauges??

Thanks for the clarification on the gearing Edward.
    I misunderstood your post. Sorry.

Right. With GPS gauges, you don't care about speedo gears, tire sizes, whatever. Just hang the antenna and go.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I misunderstood your post. Sorry.

Right. With GPS gauges, you don't care about speedo gears, tire sizes, whatever. Just hang the antenna and go.
    No need to be sorry as your expertise is greatly appreciated.

I wrote on my post that the diff came with my kit, so your response makes total sense.

Thanks for the confirmation on not needing the speedo gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, one of the pitfalls of buying a kit from someone else is the jumbling of parts. The kit already is a large mix of parts but since I bought it from someone else, I spend a lot of time looking for parts as they are not in the original box that factory five put them in. I tried to organize as much as possible and keep notes as to where some parts are, but sometimes certain parts really enjoy being extra hidden.

Case in point the brake parts. I am at the point where I am trying to run the brake lines and I cannot seem to find the brackets for the front flexible brake line to the frame. I found the corresponding bag but I cannot find the brackets. Here is what I found in bag 11076 which should have the brackets:

Bag 11076 and Willwood bag.jpg

Unfortunately, some of the fittings inside the Willwood brake line kit are rusted already and I don't feel comfortable using them:

rusted fittings.jpg

These are the brackets from the rear but I do not see any of these for the front:

Rear Brake Brackets.jpg

So it seems that I am missing some parts or am I supposed to use the triangular brackets that the instructions say not to use??