Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Please Help With Driveshaft Installation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know that the driveshaft for a 427/T56/IRS combo needs to be externally modified to fit, and not something that is directly done by FFR, but not sure with the Coyote.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I know that the driveshaft for a 427/T56/IRS combo needs to be externally modified to fit, and not something that is directly done by FFR, but not sure with the Coyote.
    Ay idea what type of modification. The only thing I could think of that would make a difference is to make the spline shorter.
    MK4 Roadster Delivered 11/28/2022
    Ford Racing Aluminator A52XS; T56 Magnum
    IRS; Billet IFS; QA1 Double Adjustable Shocks; Wilwood Big Brakes from Gordon Levy
    Slowly building my dream

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DIBaledo View Post
    Ay idea what type of modification. The only thing I could think of that would make a difference is to make the spline shorter.
    Not sure, but I'd give Mike Forte a call. I'm sure that he can help.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Not sure, but I'd give Mike Forte a call. I'm sure that he can help.
    Thanks, I’ll call Mike tomorrow.
    IRS; Billet IFS; QA1 Double Adjustable Shocks; Wilwood Big Brakes from Gordon Levy
    Slowly building my dream

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not cut the spline. Really bad idea. It's designed to have a certain amount of engagement. But shouldn't be necessary and if you're seeing an inch difference, not likely to fit anyway. Bottom line, what you describe is a sign of the wrong driveshaft length. I've done multiple builds and never had trouble getting a proper sized driveshaft installed without taking anything apart. Takes some maneuvering and wonky angles. But should go in. I see multiple builds were guys are taking things apart and eventually get it in. But that's the hard way. Check these instructions from Denny's Driveshafts (an excellent source) and see how the result compares to your driveshaft. https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/img...iagrams/k.html
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Do not cut the spline. Really bad idea. It's designed to have a certain amount of engagement. But shouldn't be necessary and if you're seeing an inch difference, not likely to fit anyway. Bottom line, what you describe is a sign of the wrong driveshaft length. I've done multiple builds and never had trouble getting a proper sized driveshaft installed without taking anything apart. Takes some maneuvering and wonky angles. But should go in. I see multiple builds were guys are taking things apart and eventually get it in. But that's the hard way. Check these instructions from Denny's Driveshafts (an excellent source) and see how the result compares to your driveshaft. https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/img...iagrams/k.html
    Paul,

Thank you very much. After further measuring, the driveshaft from FFR has about 1/16" of clearance. You're right, I don't think that will fit no matter what crazy angles I attack it with. I'll talk to Mike Forte tomorrow, but I think I will need to have a slightly shorter driveshaft made. You identified a link to denny's driveshafts. My engine will put out quite a bit of power and I want a top quality driveshaft to handle it. Do you know anything about their custom built products?

David....
    Slowly building my dream

7. Likes dbo_texas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Thank you very much. After further measuring, the driveshaft from FFR has about 1/16" of clearance. You're right, I don't think that will fit no matter what crazy angles I attack it with. I'll talk to Mike Forte tomorrow, but I think I will need to have a slightly shorter driveshaft made. You identified a link to denny's driveshafts. My engine will put out quite a bit of power and I want a top quality driveshaft to handle it. Do you know anything about their custom built products?

David....
    I’ve used Denny’s Driveshafts twice. Excellent quality and I’m positive would work for you. There are other choices as some have posted.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Forte has saved the day....again!!! He has developed a specific yoke for this very application that will allow me to use my current driveshaft. I don't know if there is anybody with his background and creativity when it comes to the design of these cars. I don't know what state my build would be in were it not for the experts on this forum who know the intracacies of the build process and Mike Forte who has developed many solutions for some of the shortcomings of the FFR design.

Thanks to all again for your help and advice.

David....
    Slowly building my dream

10. Likes Joel Hauser, JimStone liked this post