FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: If it were easy everyone would do it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    My answer to that is piano wire and a couple of vise grips to hold it. We used piano wire for years, mainly when glass used to be held in by butyl. Ever since they started using eurothane, with plastic mouldings around the glass, piano wire was out. A glass guy can cut out a window with a pipe and a razor in less than 5 min.

I will admit though, for the hatch, that would have been the tool of choice. The eurothane patch on that hatch was a couple inches wide, the blade would have never went alll the way though, and no moulding to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know guys. Last windshield I took out was 15 years ago. I was planning on using a few blobs of urethane adhesive and over the winshield edge clips to keep my windshield in place while I test the car on the track. I figure since the windshield is in that little depression, a few spots of glue with clips on 4 corners its unlikely that its going anywhere.

If it seems to loosen up some gorilla tape and ill be fine. When its time to do the finish bodywork I can pull it out so the work and install so its water tight.

I was not going to bother with the rear hatch glass for testing.

I am inspired by your Polycarbonate hatch Steve. I am also going to try to make one as well.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Would a DXF pattern be of any help? I had mine cut on a water jet and then finished fitting by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Good to know guys. Last windshield I took out was 15 years ago. I was planning on using a few blobs of urethane adhesive and over the winshield edge clips to keep my windshield in place while I test the car on the track. I figure since the windshield is in that little depression, a few spots of glue with clips on 4 corners its unlikely that its going anywhere.

If it seems to loosen up some gorilla tape and ill be fine. When its time to do the finish bodywork I can pull it out so the work and install so its water tight.

I was not going to bother with the rear hatch glass for testing.

I am inspired by your Polycarbonate hatch Steve. I am also going to try to make one as well.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Well i normally don't go so high tech as using a water jet . I was thinking of just using a paper template made from the glass window/ the opening in the car.

I hope to be able to vaccuform some lovers into the window. Very ambitious I know. Another idea was to make a shaker style intake that bumps out through a hole in the window. Ill have a clear bubble over my intakes.

I have a few pictures in my mind of how I can do it. We will see how far I get with those ideas as I try to implement them. If I fail on those ideas the water jet and cad file is the way to go for sure.

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Well i normally don't go so high tech as using a water jet . I was thinking of just using a paper template made from the glass window/ the opening in the car.

I hope to be able to vaccuform some lovers into the window. Very ambitious I know. Another idea was to make a shaker style intake that bumps out through a hole in the window. Ill have a clear bubble over my intakes.

I have a few pictures in my mind of how I can do it. We will see how far I get with those ideas as I try to implement them. If I fail on those ideas the water jet and cad file is the way to go for sure.

John
    I have cut plenty of PC with a jig saw or band saw and that works just fine. I'm not sure about vacuum forming hard faced PC. I tried using the heat gun to soften the urethane and it deformed the coating. It would be great if you could do your forming and then have it coated. What ever you do, I know it'll be spectacular!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    I have cut plenty of PC with a jig saw or band saw and that works just fine. I'm not sure about vacuum forming hard faced PC. I tried using the heat gun to soften the urethane and it deformed the coating
    Yeah thats a good point on the hard face. I was planning on putting the sheet in a oven (or an oven like structure that I setup for heating the PC) maybe it would not screw up the hard face if the sheet is warmed slowly. Ill be sure to do a few practice runs to see how the hard face deals with getting pulled into a form. I might need to vary the design and or materials to get it done. It will be an adventure.

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344