Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My One Year Delay Is Now Over!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My One Year Delay Is Now Over!

Hey Gang,

The Chevy Cobra Sprung A Not So Good Leak.

We ended up with water in the oil after our last Go-Kart run.
    At first we thought it was an intake issue since those bolts seemed to have backed out after a total of about 9 gallons of fuel used during the break-in period plus 30-35 miles of test driving.
    The intake was pulled and reseated and a compression test was also done which yielded excellent figures between 200-202 lbs on both cylinder banks. (Extremely Close, Which Was A Surpise Since The Heads Were Not CC'd!)
    We pressure tested the radiator again and water is still making its way into the oil pan so "Ugg" Said Sir Charles Brown, "Ugg!"
    Anyway, I'll be using my borescope to see if I can find anything, specifically head gasket leaks or cracks in the lifter galley, which is easily accessible with the distributor pulled.

Please Wish Me Luck Because I Think We've Got A Crack In The Lifter Valley!

Steve

NOTE
    : Thanks Mr. Charles M. Schulz / We All Miss You!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-22-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keeping fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for a simple solution to your malady.

One of my favorite quotes, at times directed at me,...."Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."

Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang Steve. That stinks. I will be rooting for my Louisiana brother. You will get it fixed I am positive.

Engine work is pretty new to me so I will be following along to see what I can learn. Any pictures, notes, or finding will be greatly appreciated.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a sad situation! Hopefully it is something that can be easily remedied.

You know it may be just the fact that the chevy is wetting itself being put in a ford !
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh man. Frustrating. Butttttt it is fixable. Just not delightful. Keep us posted Steve!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Gang,

The Chevy Cobra Sprung A Not So Good Leak.

We ended up with water in the oil after our last Go-Kart run.
    At first we thought it was an intake issue since those bolts seemed to have backed out after a total of about 9 gallons of fuel used during the break-in period plus 30-35 miles of test driving.
    The intake was pulled and reseated and a compression test was also done which yielded excellent figures between 200-202 lbs on both cylinder banks. (Extremely Close, Which Was A Surpise Since The Heads Were Not CC'd!)
    We pressure tested the radiator again and water is still making its way into the oil pan so "Ugg" Said Sir Charles Brown, "Ugg!"
    Anyway, I'll be using my borescope to see if I can find anything, specifically head gasket leaks or cracks in the lifter galley, which is easily accessible with the distributor pulled.

Please Wish Me Luck Because I Think We've Got A Crack In The Lifter Valley!

Steve

NOTE
    : Thanks Mr. Charles M. Schulz / We All Miss You!
    Ugg, Indeed! I am so sorry Dad. You seem to have a very good handle on what to do and where to go with the problem. I have a very good feeling that you will quickly find and fix the problem just like you have overcome all the others in your build. May the problem turn out to be very insignificant and easily fixable. We look forward to your post of "success"!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve-

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. I hope it is a quick and easy repair, and you get back to finishing things up quickly!

I know you will keep us updated, and I look forward to seeing it get resolved; good luck with it!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Gents,

I'm going to see what I can see with the Borescope today.
    Hope it's a leaky head gasket or intake, but I won't know for sure unless I can see it through the scope.
    Will keep you all posted, but it is looking like we'll be on hold for a while as the finances are a bit tight these days with our last child just going off to college (Baby Go-Dad) this year.
    Wish Me Luck!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Kids can work their way through college - it's character building

Good luck and hope you find something cheap and easy to fix!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Damn, sorry to hear. I know everyone has their fingers crossed, hoping for a simple solution.

David
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We all know that this is a problem that money and time will eventually solve!

Thanks, Gentlemen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Given that it won't hold cooling system pressure you can go the other way and perform a leakdown test to reveal if a head gasket or combustion chamber crack is the culpruit.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Given that it won't hold cooling system pressure you can go the other way and perform a leakdown test to reveal if a head gasket or combustion chamber crack is the culpruit.

Jeff
    Jeff,

I don't know how to do a leak down test because I've never done one before but there is always time to learn.
    Will be talking to a Machinist Friend of mine tomorrow since I know he's watching the Saints Fumble Today!
    Will research the process & thanks!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Reader's Digest version of a leakdown test; you introduce air into the cylinder with the valves closed then observe if/where it escapes which will indicate where you are not sealing---intake, exhaust, crankcase or cooling system.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Sorry to hear you are having issues, but I know you will push through them. Here is a good video on doing a leak down test and how to diagnose the source of the leak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofSiTGeLXvc

Hang in there brother!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Gents,

We did the leak down test late last night and it yielded nothing of consequence other than healthy cylinders.

I had my neighbor who is a certified mechanic do the test. He's thinking crack in block or possible head gasket leak. We'll pressure test cooling system after I fabricate some block off plates for the cooling passages. We hope to see coolant coming from the lifter galley along the head gaskets, but that's a long shot.

Will keep you all posted so in the mean time:

Keep Building The Best Cars On The Planet Which Only Come From Factory Five Racing!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, When you said you had good numbers on your compression test, I didn't think a leak down test would yield anything. Different way to test the same thing. From my experience, sounds like a blown head gasket or cracked block or head. Next step would be to remove the heads. Sorry to say but blowing a head gasket between the water jacket and oil passage is not that common, but possible. If it is the head gasket, make sure the head surface and block deck are perfectly flat (no low spots), with an indicator, or the same thing could happen again.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Duck,

Yep, I do think that it is unlikely that it is a head gasket and feel like it is going to be the block.
    200 lbs on the left bank and 201 on the right just don't make sense with a water leak.
    The foundation of the engine (The Block) is likely the culprit.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-25-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Rats!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    "Rats!"
    No, It's Not Rats That I'm Dealing With!

.It's A Mighty Mouse Motor That Sprung A Leak!

I'll be pulling the pan one night this week to see if I've got an issue in the bottom of one of the cylinders.
    Since the block had to be relieved to clear the 3.75" stroke crank with the 6.0" H-Beam rods there is a chance that we may have hit a water jacket.
    At this point, it is still an ongoing crime scene.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-25-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody has to say it.........................

It's a Chevy in a Ford, right???

Somebody is trying to tell you something.
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick with it Steve. You will overcome this problem. I'm rooting for ya!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotyacht View Post
    Somebody has to say it.........................

It's a Chevy in a Ford, right???

Somebody is trying to tell you something.
    It's not a Ford.
    It's much better than that.

It's A Factory Five!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-26-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

While I'm a diehard Ford guy, I sure hope you find your problem soon and hopefully not too expensive to fix.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be overly pessimistic, but did your engine supplier provide any kind of warranty? Reading through the thread, I have to believe it's a problem with the block. Historically, GM has had an excellent reputation for engines, but the laws of large numbers still apply - there will always be one that fails. I hope this comes to a speedy and successful conclusion!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Not to be overly pessimistic, but did your engine supplier provide any kind of warranty? Reading through the thread, I have to believe it's a problem with the block. Historically, GM has had an excellent reputation for engines, but the laws of large numbers still apply - there will always be one that fails. I hope this comes to a speedy and successful conclusion!
    I don't have a warranty, but the engine builder is doing everything he can to assist me because I've known this gentleman since I was 18 or 19 years of age and am now 54.

My gut feeling is that a crack opened up in the block or we hit a water passage in the bottom of the block when we opened it up to accept the rotating assembly, but I'm still digging.

Also, please know that this drive-line was never intended to go in a Factory Five, but my 1980 Z/28 that was lost in Hurricane Katrina back in August of 2005 along with my motor mentor's machine shop. These parts had been sitting around my home ever since so that's when I decided to build a Factory Five MK-4.

We'll keep digging and I know we will find the issue soon so I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks For All The Support Gang Because It Is Appreciated!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-26-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    It's not a Ford.
    It's much better than that.

It's A Factory Five!
    I hope that you realise I was just poking you with some humour. It must be very frustrating and to a degree a little stressful, especially as you are getting so close to completing the build. I hope you find the source of the problem and the solution isn't too painful. With luck it can be treated as an opportunity to improve the powerplant, and your Factory Five.
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotyacht View Post
    I hope that you realise I was just poking you with some humour. It must be very frustrating and to a degree a little stressful, especially as you are getting so close to completing the build. I hope you find the source of the problem and the solution isn't too painful. With luck it can be treated as an opportunity to improve the powerplant, and your Factory Five.
    Absolutely Know It Was Just In Fun!

Trying to stay positive since this car ran so shockingly well since it was 1st started in June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It took hours and hours to put this together so I hope you take it as the joke it is meant to be!

Hope it doesn't turn out to be the block... Best of luck diagnosing the issue!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post

It took hours and hours to put this together so I hope you take it as the joke it is meant to be!

Hope it doesn't turn out to be the block... Best of luck diagnosing the issue!

This Forum Has Helped Me Build The Car & Is Helping Me Fix It!

By the way, Love Lucy Holding The Bowtie, which will likely get replaced with a Dart Block if things go South.

Heck, I'm in New Orleans so they already have gone South!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm betting you ground into the water jacket. I had that happen to me once when doing some Chinese H beam rods in a 383. I hit water before the bolts would clear the block. Lesson learned on that one.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I've spent my summer up in Georgia on a job assignment, working out the funds for my Cobra. The kit will be delivered in early November so it will be back to Pensacola and happy times for me in a few short weeks.
    However, as excited as I will be to spend some quality time with my new best bad habit, given I'm not terribly far away, if you have to yank that puppy out and need some help I'll be happy to run over and give you a hand. As long as you can accept the fact that I'm not very good but I make up for it by being really slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that cartoon was funny!!! LOL

I know Steve takes the joking in stride. What you should really worry about is that his build will be better than most of ours! I've seen it in-person. He's doing the Chevy conversion proud. But WE MUST continue to poke at him for it

We're all pulling for you Steve. I wish I could come up with a single idea that might help. This is just a strange issue.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    ...I'm not very good but I make up for it by being really slow.
    Hey; that's me!

Steve, If you're going to have a problem like this better now and not after paint!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post

I know Steve takes the joking in stride. What you should really worry about is that his build will be better than most of ours! I've seen it in-person. He's doing the Chevy conversion proud. But WE MUST continue to poke at him for it

We're all pulling for you Steve. I wish I could come up with a single idea that might help. This is just a strange issue.
    If I were in this situation and for whatever reason the block isn't salvageable, I'd be seriously considering an LS replacement.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve: Sorry to hear about your troubles, and I'll hold my "Da** Chebby" jabs. Hopefully you won't be replacing the block, but if you do, I agree with the Dart block. They don't get much better!

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    If I were in this situation and for whatever reason the block isn't salvageable, I'd be seriously considering an LS replacement.
    Hey Papa,

If I could go with an LS I'd likely write the check, but this ZF-6 Speed can only be linked to a SBC (Gen-1 or Gen-2) or BBC. Since I had to move the motor mounts to make everything fit I'm sort of past the point of no return at this point.

The good thing is that it is a problem that time and money will solve. I just never seem to have both at the same time.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-27-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Hey; that's me!

Steve, If you're going to have a problem like this better now and not after paint!

John
    Amen Brother John, Amen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post

I Actually Printed A Copy & Have Stuck One Of My PC Monitors At My Desk!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If I've got a hole in the bottom of the water jacket, then we will replace the block with with a Dart mill!
    Also, here is what I found last night which after viewing could get real ugly on a stock block.
    Any casting imperfections will likely create issues after seeing this video.
    Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

https://youtu.be/tzG0RLcxW9I

Thanks for the support and comments and look on the bright side, you guys won't have to race me any time soon.
    Just kidding, I'll likely only be racing my brother once I'm finished and hope to do it sooner than later.
    Just not sure that my Factory Five will be able to beat his 1999 427 Mecham Trans Am!
    It's a beast to say the least.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-27-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast