Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Storage or sell it?

Post Thanks / Like

Long Term Storage or sell it?

I may have orders in a few weeks for a 3-4 year assignment to a small but beautiful Pacific Island. I can only take the family Suburban or Pickup. What would be my best move? There are a lot of what-ifs still to be determined but would like your alls honest opinion.

I would love to store it but all my family is scattered to across the state and dont have anyone I can really trust with such a car. I was thinking of letting the military store it but again I dont trust them either. My only option is long term storage.

The other option is to sell it. Its done sans paint and body but I am not giving it away and doubt I would get what I want for it. If I did sell it that money would go into savings for another project when I get back from said Island.

Any inputs would be graciously received. If the orders dont come, no worries but I want to have some countermeasures in place if the day comes in the next few weeks.

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are still happy with the idea of owning a Cobra and you are happy with your build so far, I would say store it.

On the other hand, if you have lost interest or are leaning towards a different project then it's better to take the hit now than later. You will certainly take a loss selling it as is.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

3. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Long Term Storage.... You just put your blood, sweat and perhaps some tears into this build. I'm sure you could find a storage place that would be reasonable in price to make it worth keeping... Or you could send it off for paint and body at Whitby's.... I hear they take about 18 month or more to compete a paint job... and if you don't push them perhaps even longer... Then you only have to pay for storage for the time after they are done

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

5. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love and adore this car. I cant wait to get paint on it. I only have a few hundred miles on it and everything is working as advertised. It really is a reliable 4 season car here in Texas.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I vote to store it if I get a vote.

Do you have friends and/or family in the area that might be willing to give up a spot in their garage for a long term hold over?

Also, Thank You & All Our Veterans For Doing Your Best To Keep Us Safe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon, with your pride and love for your car - only one answer Pard.

Long term storage.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, I cant really sell it, it was more for inputs for those have been in a sell situation. This is going to be a crazy move, I have to sell, store, and put my entire life on hold. Comes with tons of stress but this could be the chance of a lifetime for my family and my flying career.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Long Term Storage.... You just put your blood, sweat and perhaps some tears into this build. I'm sure you could find a storage place that would be reasonable in price to make it worth keeping... Or you could send it off for paint and body at Whitby's.... I hear they take about 18 month or more to compete a paint job... and if you don't push them perhaps even longer... Then you only have to pay for storage for the time after they are done
    This is exactly what I would do in this situation, especially if I was determined not to abandon the project and keep it moving ahead whilst I was away.

11. Likes TexasAviator liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What does long-term storage cost compared to a reasonable estimate of your out-of-pocket losses if you sold it as-is? I would guess that storage would be less, but that's nothing but a wild guess.

All that said, it's a hell of a thing to let go, for a loss or otherwise, after you've put the work into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my build was a long term project (life and work get in the way some times, and I was traveling a lot for work), so my build took almost 10 years. That is 2 to 3 times your storage time. I had the car stored in the garage and worked on it a little at a time, then a big push at the end to get it done. I would keep it. Find some place secure to store it and it will be there when you get back. What happen is you sell it, then a few things change in your life and you use the cash for something else in the mean time.

Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    What ! You don't have a younger brother to leave it in his capable hands for safe keeping ?....YEAH! WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT STORY ENDS....starts with "I swerved to miss a dog"...da bat

15. Likes Paul2STL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon,

Rent yourself a climate controlled storage unit and put that puppy on jack stands until you come back.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I agreed with Papa if you can locate a storage unit for around $100/month (you may be able to get a better deal if you work a long term rate) and have an agreed value insurance policy for storing the vehicle, you may end up better off than trying to sell

Prep the motor, put it on jack stands and put out a bunch of Mice/rat poison

Good luck

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping that someone would come on here and tell me they sold theirs and regret it everyday of their life. I guess those that sell probably arent very active on the boards, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    What does long-term storage cost compared to a reasonable estimate of your out-of-pocket losses if you sold it as-is? I would guess that storage would be less, but that's nothing but a wild guess.

All that said, it's a hell of a thing to let go, for a loss or otherwise, after you've put the work into it.
    Agreed, I am going to go check around here for storage options. I will have to come back to get the car but at least I know its in a mild climate and low crime area.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
    Well, my build was a long term project (life and work get in the way some times, and I was traveling a lot for work), so my build took almost 10 years. That is 2 to 3 times your storage time. I had the car stored in the garage and worked on it a little at a time, then a big push at the end to get it done. I would keep it. Find some place secure to store it and it will be there when you get back. What happen is you sell it, then a few things change in your life and you use the cash for something else in the mean time.

Wade
    Great point. I have in my estimate around 39000 in it but with help from FFR, members on here, and selling a project car I feel I have come in closer to 25000 not counting time invested. I really dont want to sell it, the title is misleading. What I was hoping for was people that did sell it and tell me they wish they hadn't. That is probably wishful thinking as those who have sold it arent active on the forum anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    What ! You don't have a younger brother to leave it in his capable hands for safe keeping ?....YEAH! WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT STORY ENDS....starts with "I swerved to miss a dog"...da bat
    I do have family and I love them dearly but I dont trust them. I could set the rev limiter on the Fitech super low (2k) and hope for the best... I was thinking of shipping it to a painter and let them work on it at their pace. I would of course keep insurance on it through Hagerty at agreed value. Wink Wink.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Brandon,

Rent yourself a climate controlled storage unit and put that puppy on jack stands until you come back.

Dave
    This may be my best option. I could then also store all my expensive tools, toys, and garage gear knowing its not going to get stolen in the move. It seems to happen a lot to military and overseas assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    I agreed with Papa if you can locate a storage unit for around $100/month (you may be able to get a better deal if you work a long term rate) and have an agreed value insurance policy for storing the vehicle, you may end up better off than trying to sell

Prep the motor, put it on jack stands and put out a bunch of Mice/rat poison

Good luck

Rick
    Thanks Rick, I have a brother in West Virginia but he lives in Moorefield, other side of the Appalachians from you. I feel the storage option in Texas may be the best option as the weather here is mild all year round. Gets a bit hot but nothing I would worry about compared to the times I lived in Iraq (140 degrees!).
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 01-21-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my mind, this isn't even a question. Of course, this isn't my decision... Nevertheless, store it. Think "mothball", as in what your current employer would do. I'm with Papa and the others on their long term storage ideas.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, Part of your soul is in that car. Keep it.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I stored my '69 Mustang FB for 2 1/2 years while I was overseas. Really glad I did, too.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon

I’ve been to Moorefield a few times doing IT/telecom/networking for the Army NG it’s very nice county up there along the Potomac river.

Good luck with your new assignment I don’t think that you will regret keeping the roadster

Rick CW5(R)
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stored a car while deployed -- wish I knew more about storage back then. Two tips: if you cover the car in plastic don't let it touch the paint (plastic over a car cover should be OK). They make those plastic car covers so it sounded like the way to go but a couple of years baking, sweating, freezing, thawing and mix in lots of dust and when I got home the paint was ruined. I loved that car. And pull the plugs and liberally apply fogging oil (comes in a spray can) to the cylinders to keep them from rusting. Good luck on your new assignment.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Another for keep it! It'll be something to look forward to....good luck!
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    You want me to paint it ?.....I will throw in a year of storage. That's "Southern California Storage" That's some premium shiz right there son...da Bat

27. Thanks TexasAviator thanked for this post
    Likes cgundermann, TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless it poses a financial hardship shove it plus your tools and equipment into a storage unit and keep it all insured.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    You want me to paint it ?.....I will throw in a year of storage. That's "Southern California Storage" That's some premium shiz right there son...da Bat
    Damn Brandon, that's a hell of an offer + a smoking hot paint job!

Premium includes free rattlesnakes...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

30. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it!

That sounds like a great deal, maybe negotiate 2 years storage ; )

Thats another great idea, it might be finished when you get back.

Post Thanks / Like
    4 years is a long time for tires to be sitting in storage, gas in the tank, etc. Is it a show stopper, no it is not. Storage around here (chicago) would run about 150/mo and that is not going to be climate controlled. That would be over 200/mo. So for 48mos you are looking at a minimum of 6k for storage. You should try selling it as is and see what you can get offer wise, you will build it faster next time

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy Miller some rum and he gets real easy to talk to . . . Maybe he'll store it for longer if the rum keeps coming on a monthly basis . . . AND, you'll get one of the best paint guys doing your car - no debating that Jeff is one of the best there is for our cars.

I'd seriously think about that offered deal from Miller . . .

Doc

Disclaimer: Don't really know if Miller drinks rum as much as I'm suggesting here, but his signature usually mentions drinking, women . . . Ha-Ha-Ha!
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

34. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Buy Miller some rum and he gets real easy to talk to . . . Maybe he'll store it for longer if the rum keeps coming on a monthly basis . . . AND, you'll get one of the best paint guys doing your car - no debating that Jeff is one of the best there is for our cars.

I'd seriously think about that offered deal from Miller . . .

Doc

Disclaimer: Don't really know if Miller drinks rum as much as I'm suggesting here, but his signature usually mentions drinking, women . . . Ha-Ha-Ha!
    And then we wouldn't hear him go on an on about "why's the rum always gone?"

36. Likes TexasAviator liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Feeling just a little picked on......I'll give ya 20 minutes to knock it off or $20 to keep it up....you choose....AND WHERE THE HELL IS MY RUM !!!...da bat

38. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you look into how much to taking it with you? It might be as cost effective as selling it (most likely at a loss) or storing it and having the pay rent.

40. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Add it to your household goods shipment to said island as a "loveseat", not additional auto.
    Randy

42. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was me, in your situation, I'd do the storage...but if you really enjoyed the build and could afford to do another when you get back, you could sell it and start fresh on another. I'm sure there'd be several things you'd do different now that you've built one and learned the ins and outs of the car.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

44. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    old timer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it not allowed for you to have 2 vehicles on the island? I was wondering if the cost of shipping it there yourself would be approximately the same as the long term storage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey ! Claim it as your wife's "Emotional Support Vehicle" ….. Hell! They might even let you take it on the plane ! jus workin the angles

Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon,

Would that island be Okinawa by chance? I spent a year there and loved it. I spent pretty much all my free time SCUBA diving.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    insure the crap out of it, takes tons of pictures and have the military do it. JMHO, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent on a buy option.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would store it for free as long as you left me the keys so I could rotate �� the tires for you.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

51. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, just like the Air Force to leave you hanging. I got orders this week gents. Looks like I will be moving to a small tropical Island in the pacific for a few years. Sand, Surf, Sun, and I am sure plenty of work to go along with it.

Now is the hard question. If I keep it, store it, and I get another assignment to Europe (very possible) the car is going to sit indefinitely. I have about 22-25 thousand in the car not including the stuff I sold off on parts cars I had laying around. Then I have thousands in storage fees. I also dont want to burden one of our faithful forum painters to expectations of free storage. This is starting to sound like I should sell it.

I will know more in the coming weeks as I am talking to some interested buyers due to this thread.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sand, surf, sun... The first time I visited an AF base I knew I should have joined the AF. Huge bases, great PX, movie theaters, and big EM clubs. It was like club med.

The Army was almost as bad as the Marines for facilities and assignments in places even the locals never heard of. And were the AF had busses to transport their personnel we had LPC's (Leather Personnel Carriers -- boots to the civilians out there).

Have fun, don't volunteer for anything, and always look busy.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

54. Thanks TexasAviator thanked for this post
    Likes TexasAviator liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast