Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Maybe we should sticky a tips and tricks thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should sticky a tips and tricks thread?

Especially for the newbies?
    For example:
    Torqueing Fasteners,
    Always dbl check the torque settings where required - lbs inch or lbs feet?
    Anything requiring more than 60 lbs ft should be stepped so first set the wrench to 50 lbs, click, set it to 80 lbs and click THEN set it to the finish setting of, for example, 120 lbs and click.

Next?

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree. I've been reading the forum for a short while now in prep for my own project next year and feel there are a ton of tips/tricks on here that people like me would like to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my tips for torqueing fasteners:
    After they are torqued, mark them with a paint pen. That way you know for sure that they have been done.

Nut and bolt the car once a year. It is a race car whether you race it or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Here is my tips for torqueing fasteners:
    After they are torqued, mark them with a paint pen. That way you know for sure that they have been done.

Nut and bolt the car once a year. It is a race car whether you race it or not.
    how about writing the number of pressure on the bolt with the marker
    Gilroy, Ca
    Dreaming of the MK4
    Purchasing the kit within the next 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree it could talk about the willwood pedal assembly clutch issue, rubber grommets for the quick jack bolts, brake pads for the complete kit,bleeding the rear brake lines etc

I like the idea of marking the bolts but decided to use thread locker on everything that didn’t have a locknut I must have used three or four tubes before the car was completed

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Isnt that what every build thread is. I have just used the search function of this board and the other board through googles advanced search options and could find anything I have wanted. The best tips and tricks are in the veteran build threads. I have added a few of my own and come from a very wide range of vehicle build experience. From 4x4's to big turbo cars, to the fox mustang. I think that is what makes the build threads the best source. We have really great people on here doing amazing things.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see a "Best Practices" area by threads that match stages in the build manual. For instance, in a thread about installing aliuminum panels, suggestions on the best way to treat and install the aluminum panels in one place. Or "Best Practices" on dash installation, methods and options. Etc.

There is plenty of info in build threads, but the numbers and depth of the threads are so massive than even searches can be frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I would great appreciate it.... it would be something worth printing and tacking up somewhere as well as in a build book... thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldnt the wiki list on the top of the page be a good place to put something like this!

By the way, how do we add stuff to the wiki list?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —