Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: radiator reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

Question radiator reservoir

Am I confused (happens all the time) but isn't the overflow can included with the complete kit? None with mine so I guess I need to go find one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    Am I confused (happens all the time) but isn't the overflow can included with the complete kit? None with mine so I guess I need to go find one.
    Yes, the complete kit comes with an overflow tank. Check your inventory. If it isn't on there, call FFR and see if they can help you out.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If not, let me know and I will send mine which I didn't use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did not show up on the inventory, nor is it listed on the b/o list. I only realized it wasn't there as I am that far along on the build. I'll check with FFR but I'm way beyond my 45 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    Did not show up on the inventory, nor is it listed on the b/o list. I only realized it wasn't there as I am that far along on the build. I'll check with FFR but I'm way beyond my 45 days.
    I just realized that you are building a 33. I know it's part of the roadster complete kit, but can't say for sure for the 33. Still worth a call to FFR.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    don't sweat the 45 day window. They are very flexible about that

Post Thanks / Like
    For my Gen 1 kit, the expansion tank was in Box 10F with other cooling system components - radiator fan, hoses, etc.
    HTH,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    It came with my 33.
    33 Hot Rod w/ deluxe 32 nose
    350 SBC and 700r4 automatic, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears
    Order date:4/25/19, Deliver date 6/10/19
    First run 10/6/2019, Go cart 11/3/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    It comes with the 33 kit. It’s round, about 3” diameter, and about 1.5 feet long or so. In the box with cooling system stuff. Hoses etc. might be 10F as someone said. Don’t sweat the 45 day thing. They’ve helped me once or twice when i was outside that window. They usually pretty good with customer service.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not in any of the boxes. I've sent a email to ffr asking about it. Is it aluminum or plastic? I've used aluminum cans on other builds and would here but not a plastic can. Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they ship the same part for the hot rod as they do for the roadster, it should look like the one in this picture mounted on the passenger side F panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0046.JPG It should come with the kit.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is aluminum.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR is sending me the missing aluminum reservoir!

15. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am building the truck, got my kit Labor Day, got my resivour yesterday along with my headlight shells - what a pleasant surprise - beautiful. Am just starting the plumbing so I hadn't missed it

Post Thanks / Like
    Just fitting mine, its changed as now shorter (10" long)

I have 2 entry holes at the bottom and selection of pipe attachments

1 have one long internal attachment which i amuse is for internal level control ( reaches that level and overflows back out

A entry hose barb to go back to the radiator outlet

Not sure what the last little smaller diameter bit is for, doesnt fit any of the thread on the tank..??

IMG_8130.jpg

odd little bit
    IMG_8131.jpg

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grusks, any idea what size that catch can is (the amount of coolant it will hold without overflow)? If I recall, the one that came with my Gen I was 32 oz and barely large enough to hold the overflow from normal expansion on my particular coolant system set-up. I calculated mine to need 30.1 OZ and my coolant system only holds 4.8-gallons. That shorter overflow tank doesn't appear to be any larger in diameter so it may have less capacity than the earlier ones FFR was supplying. You might want to take a close look to see if it will be large enough for your needs before installing it. The theoretical expansion can be calculated.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grusks View Post
    Just fitting mine, its changed as now shorter (10" long)

I have 2 entry holes at the bottom and selection of pipe attachments

1 have one long internal attachment which i amuse is for internal level control ( reaches that level and overflows back out

A entry hose barb to go back to the radiator outlet

Not sure what the last little smaller diameter bit is for, doesnt fit any of the thread on the tank..??

IMG_8130.jpg

odd little bit
    IMG_8131.jpg
    I'm building the truck, my kit delivered last October. I just checked mine and it is almost 16" long. I too have the long tube and one other fitting with a barb, looks like the smaller of the two in your picture. I do not have the other two fittings. So how does this get plumbed? The manual simply states: Attach and route the overflow tank tubing to the radiator overflow nipple.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    To use this as a recovery tank, you attach a hose from the radiator overflow to a fitting that draws fluid from the bottom of the tank. The fitting with the extended tube serves two functions: 1) acts as a vent to atmosphere & 2) acts as a tank overflow. Run a hose from this nipple to a place somewhere between the wheels and low (I run mine behind the rear axle) as if the recovery tank pukes you don't want that slippery coolant under a tire.

On a conventional coolant system (old fashion coolant system like the hot rod & truck), when the coolant gets hot it expands and some will push past the radiator cap and flow into the recovery tank. When the coolant in the radiator and engine cools it will contract and create a negative pressure. The radiator cap has a valve that opens when there is a partial vacuum and that allows ambient pressure to force the coolant from the recovery tank back into the radiator.
    Last edited by NAZ; 05-11-2020 at 10:33 AM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one if you want it.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    15 FL Oz it holds before overflow

Im running a coyote if that makes a difference to how much it will push and pull form the tank

Spence

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    To use this as a recovery tank, you attach a hose from the radiator overflow to a fitting that draws fluid from the bottom of the tank. The fitting with the extended tube serves two functions: 1) acts as a vent to atmosphere & 2) acts as a tank overflow. Run a hose from this nipple to a place somewhere between the wheels and low (I run mine behind the rear axle) as if the recovery tank pukes you don't want that slippery coolant under a tire.

On a conventional coolant system (old fashion coolant system like the hot rod & truck), when the coolant gets hot it expands and some will push past the radiator cap and flow into the recovery tank. When the coolant in the radiator and engine cools it will contract and create a negative pressure. The radiator cap has a valve that opens when there is a partial vacuum and that allows ambient pressure to force the coolant from the recovery tank back into the radiator.
    Thanks Naz, that makes sense and will help when I get to that point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grusks View Post
    15 FL Oz it holds before overflow

Im running a coyote if that makes a difference to how much it will push and pull form the tank

Spence
    Without running the calcs I'm fairly confident that is going to be too small. Spence, if you need help sizing one that works PM me and I'll walk you through how to calculate expansion. You will need the total system capacity, the ambient temp you filled it at and the highest operating temp you expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Without running the calcs I'm fairly confident that is going to be too small. Spence, if you need help sizing one that works PM me and I'll walk you through how to calculate expansion. You will need the total system capacity, the ambient temp you filled it at and the highest operating temp you expect.
    NAZ would you be willing to share some formulas with everyone here?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    NAZ would you be willing to share some formulas with everyone here?
    Most everything you wanted to know about coolant but were afraid to ask:
    http://blog.cantonracingproducts.com...e-requirements
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/e...col-d_146.html
    https://www.dow.com/content/dam/dcc/...df?iframe=true
    I’ve simplified the calculation by developing a spreadsheet where I simply add the density and volume info and it automatically spits out the size I need. When I calculate the size of the recover tank I always add a 10% fudge factor, that way I can make sure there is always some reserve volume so air is not drawn into the system.

27. Thanks TxMike64, JOP33 thanked for this post
    Likes lance corsi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thanks for posting.