FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CARB fines JEGS for illegal aftermarket parts in CA

Post Thanks / Like

CARB fines JEGS for illegal aftermarket parts in CA

It seems that JEGS was not policing where it's parts were going to. In the future, CA residents may have to get their parts sent to an out of state address. Here the press release:

Sacramento—The California Air Resources Board today announced that JEGS Automotive Inc. will pay $1,700,500 to resolve violations of anti-pollution laws related to the sales and marketing of illegal aftermarket performance parts in California.

The penalty is the largest in CARB history for a case involving aftermarket parts.

“This large settlement sends a powerful message to those in the retail community that selling aftermarket parts not approved for sale to California drivers is a risk not worth taking,” said CARB Executive Officer Richard Corey. “Our tough air quality laws exist to protect public health, and those who flout these rules can expect to be caught and pay a steep price. We commend JEGS for cooperating and are confident that the company will not repeat this costly mistake.”

CARB staff initiated its investigation of JEGS thanks to a complaint from the public. The probe revealed that from 2011 to 2014, JEGS advertised and sold in California modified aftermarket performance parts such as engine programmers, air intake systems and throttle bodies that were not approved by CARB for use on highway vehicles. Many of these products can reduce fuel economy and increase emissions.

Modified vehicles that no longer meet California’s emissions requirements pose a significant health threat to California residents. They create higher amounts of smog-forming pollutants which can worsen respiratory problems and negatively impact other health conditions.

California law allows marketing and sale of an aftermarket performance part after an evaluation by CARB to ensure the part does not raise emissions. Once CARB approves the part, it is granted an executive order that allows the sale and installation of the part on pollution-controlled vehicles. State law also requires manufacturers, retailers, and distributors to take steps to ensure that consumers understand the legality of parts offered for sale and to discourage illegal modifications to vehicles.

JEGS will pay $850,250 to Supplemental Environmental Projects that will install air filters in schools located in economically and environmentally challenged communities; the sum will be split between the South Coast Air Quality Management District and the Placer County Air Pollution Control District. The remaining $850,250 will be paid to the Air Pollution Control Fund to support clean air programs.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/nationwi...gal-auto-parts

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s nuts

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right, that's nuts but then again it's the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia and nuts is par for the course. When I worked for Anheuser-Busch in SoCal I was responsible for environmental compliance for a couple of plants and learned early on that environmental laws in that state make no sense at all. I'm so happy to be on this side of the Colorado River -- the laws on the dark side of the river are draconian at best. What other state would even consider making it a law punishable by jail time for bringing a plastic straw to a customer without them asking for it? Heaven forbid a waitress brings a straw to the wrong table.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow

Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    What other state would even consider making it a law punishable by jail time for bringing a plastic straw to a customer without them asking for it?
    double wow

Post Thanks / Like
    You just dont understand the gravity of the problem we have here! Go to the mall or a park or even around any school, they are everywhere covering the ground stuck in trees all the water ways are completely jammed with straws, a few years ago you would never see a straw in public now thats all you see! We need the government to save us from our selves or we may drown in straws. We are also very fortunate that we can breath here thanks to the ARB.

Ok ok enough ....... Sorry
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    They're building a $419 million complex in Riverside, although it looks like none of the JEGS money is needed for that...

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/californ...ters-riverside

Once that's complete, maybe they'll be able to further their efforts to ban gas-powered cars:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...175740811.html
    Last edited by Zach34; 02-14-2018 at 01:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    And yet people keep sending their money to Ca based businesses.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jegs should only send their illegal parts to our sanctuary cities here,maybe there they will be safe from the fines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    You just dont understand the gravity of the problem we have here! Go to the mall or a park or even around any school, they are everywhere covering the ground stuck in trees all the water ways are completely jammed with straws, a few years ago you would never see a straw in public now thats all you see! We need the government to save us from our selves or we may drown in straws. We are also very fortunate that we can breath here thanks to the ARB.

Ok ok enough ....... Sorry

I have a crazy answer.....

Make littering punishable. Look around. It isn’t just straws all over. It’s cups, shoes, bags, paper, socks, etc.

Then get the chain gangs out and clean it up. It is done elsewhere.

Jim

Oops,
    I’m sorry... I’m a little slow.
    You were being sarcastic.
    Last edited by Packer fan; 02-14-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You cant make littering punishable ..... Dont you know we are a sanctuary state!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy parts in CA for non-controlled vehicles. The problem was they were bought for controlled vehicles. There would need to be proof to back this up as well. Just because you bought it doesn't mean it goes on a controlled vehicle.

As for straws, that's just the tip of the problem. CA is a free-loading state. Come enjoy everything, leave it a mess, you don't have to clean up.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    So, that's where my old holiday fruitcake ended up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1 year, 3 months, 16 days to retirement and then out of this “always in my pocket” state. Not that I’m counting.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    sipro1207; 1-year, 3-months, and 16-days will fly by. Retirement was the second best thing I did, escaping across the river was the best thing.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    You're right, that's nuts but then again it's the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia and nuts is par for the course. When I worked for Anheuser-Busch in SoCal I was responsible for environmental compliance for a couple of plants and learned early on that environmental laws in that state make no sense at all. I'm so happy to be on this side of the Colorado River -- the laws on the dark side of the river are draconian at best. What other state would even consider making it a law punishable by jail time for bringing a plastic straw to a customer without them asking for it? Heaven forbid a waitress brings a straw to the wrong table.
    I remember putting the "Semi-Native" plates on when I lived in Colorado so I wouldn't keep getting pulled over for wearing New York plates. The only thing Colorado disliked more than New York was Kalifornia "Aliens". Looks like I'll have to keep my fuel atomization devices locked up with my other "pre-ban" equipment so they don't fall into the hands of hydrocarbon psychos. Soon I'll only be able to run my D6 at nite with 2 mufflers and a thermal imaging diffuser.

Thank you Kalifornia, Hopefully you have offset 2 billion coal burners in Asia...

Post Thanks / Like
    What's going to happen when all the productive people move out of CA?
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Same thing that happened to Upstate NY 30 years ago when everyone went to Carolina... Oregon to Pullman Wa. is already feeling it. Alaska is all we got left!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    that's when the "big one " happens and Ca falls into the ocean. Get your beach front property in Arizona and Nevada

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    I have a crazy answer.....

Make littering punishable. Look around. It isn’t just straws all over. It’s cups, shoes, bags, paper, socks, etc.

Then get the chain gangs out and clean it up. It is done elsewhere.

Jim

Oops,
    I’m sorry... I’m a little slow.
    You were being sarcastic.
    They can't fix the important stuff (the budget, the firearms issue etc.) so they go the easy "stuff."

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    1 year, 3 months, 16 days to retirement and then out of this “always in my pocket” state. Not that I’m counting.
    Consider yourself officially invited to the Great State of Arizona! You will find you are in good company . . . the immigration from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia seems to be an endless stream!! Better yet, while you are there, vote out the idiots that come up with such nonsense.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow 50 years in business and they came up with 6 bullet points for highlighted accomplishments. I contest that most of the improvements in engine management and emissions would have come about w/o CARB based on free market competition, although perhaps a bit slower. They are going to need some nuclear plants to charge all those projected electric vehicles.

Oh and another thing, if a business has a website how can you "not" market to a particular state? What about Summit?
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,

It happens all the time - all sorts of products can not be shipped to CA.

Lawn mowers, wood stoves, car parts, etc.

A friend got a waste gate for his diesel truck from out of state. Not some after market or bigger part, just not a CA part and it ran better than before. Then he had to go to the smog station and they noticed it and he had to get a CA version to make the truck legal! So it went back to crummy power!