FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MkIV Coyote Engine Location

Post Thanks / Like

MkIV Coyote Engine Location

While trying to figure out the routing of the engine bay wiring, it looks like the engine is forward a bunch.
    I measured from the firewall to the back of the block, where the bell housing bolts up. The distance is somewhere around 7 5/8 to 7 3/4". I realize the angle of the engine will affect this distance, but it looks like the engine is way forward. The motor mounts are seated good and bolted in.
    To get some more accurate numbers I measured from the front of the motor mount frame to the rear of the lower control arm mounting flange. Pass side 14 1/8" Driver side 14 7/8".
    Can someone confirm my engine is sitting right.
    Another reason I ask, is my engine is against the drivers side foot box.
    Thanks,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Railroad, That sounds about right. You should have ample room behind the block for the fuel pressure regulator and gauge, even if you extend the mounting bracket, so you would have about 7 1/2 inches. The DS cylinder head is indeed very close to the foot box. Two questions, though: first, you specified you'd be installing a coyote when you ordered your kit? Did you install the motor mount spacers?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying. I did specify the Coyote engine with the order. I ordered through Tony, who knew all the answers to my questions. Yes I painted the steel cut outs and sandwiched them in the motor mounts.
    Everything may be right, I just wanted some confirmation, since the engine was against the foot box and the distance between the engine and firewall is a lot.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the clearance of the crankshaft pulley to the frame crossmember. It should be in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range, which I bet it is. The Coyote is tight on the footboxes, especially on the driver's side. Mine only clears that side by about 1/8-inch.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to get a tape measure in to confirm your dimensions but here's a bird's eye view. Maybe you can pick up some reference points.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve-

Thanks for posting that picture. It gives me another chance to see that beautiful engine bay!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help. It must be right, it is tight.